Power failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dojibear, Oct 31, 2002.

1. One

One

I use a laptop as a backup. which assures me of 5+ hours of uninterrupted trading. For me this was most cost effective, since I needed one anyway for travel. In case of power outage, I would have to use my dial-up connection since the DSL modem would be out, but the difference in quote speed is negligible.

O.

#11     Oct 31, 2002
  2. Don't use a chordless phone or, better still, have a cell phone ready.

#12     Oct 31, 2002
  3. I think I'll write one of those 'Emergency Procedures' binder, and pay my superintendend 10$ so that he cuts the building's power once a while, just to keep me on my toes, like inspector Clouseau and Kato. :D

#13     Oct 31, 2002
  4. dottom,

do you find the lack of screen real estate on laptops to be prohibitive for your trading?

for example, i am running 2560x1024 across two monitors and would have a hard time trading at 1024x768.

#14     Oct 31, 2002
  5. dottom

dottom

Since I'm a 100% mechanical systems trader, I have two laptops up at once. I run 3 instances of Wealth-Lab on one laptop (I follow 3 markets at once), and on the other laptop I have TWS and J-Trader up. When Wealth-Lab signals a buy alert I enter an order in either TWS or J-Trader.

I do have a desktop too where I can play games and (*gasp*) post on ET while I trade. :)

I like the freedom of a laptop that I can take with me to any cafe and do continuing research. My desktop has more power and is used to crunch numbers if I need to run some tests or simulations over night.

I am considering getting docking stations with my laptops and a nice set of LCD monitors, but my needs are pretty simple being a 100% mechanical trader. I can totally see where a more discretionary or systematic approach requires more screen space. Or if you are following more than just 2-3 markets.

#15     Oct 31, 2002
  6. opm8

opm8

#16     Nov 1, 2002