Power and Build Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rehoboth, Dec 2, 2010.

1. I am considering building a system with USB 3.0 and Sata III stuff. two questions:

Is there anything new making it more difficult to build with these things?

Do I need a higher then normal power source and consequently a liquid cooled system?

2. I suggest you start at the monitors: How many and what resolution. Then find a mobo and gpu's and make sure it all matches up. Then add in drives, fans, ram, etc. to get your final configuration and then find an online power calculator. Power is last; always.

3. I don't think it will be more difficult. More "difficult" in what sense? If the motherboard supports it, shouldn't be more difficult IMO.

RE: Power source

USB and SATA... the interface itself, should not be a consideration in your power source. Power is most likely driven by these factors:
    1) Your processor model (faster processors require more power)
    2) How many peripherals attached (e.g. DVD-RW drives, hard disks, SSD, etc.. more peripherals = more power)
    3) How many video cards (or other cards) in the expansion slots. Some video cards require more power than others.
    Add up all the power ratings you should have some ideas.

If you are not sure, higher power (e.g. 1000W) is always better than not enough power. The price difference is not that much.

RE: Cooling

The component that generates the most heat is your processor. Next are your hard disks and video cards. Liquid cooling is for certain fast processors running at full throttle most of the times. (e.g. real time scanning, back-testing, algo trading, etc..). Or else the regular heat sink and CPU fan should suffice.