Powell tried to talk Bush out of war

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ZZZzzzzzzz, Jul 8, 2007.

1. powell is a soldier, and a great one at that... he should have resigned his "political" position at the time... but soldiers never quit...

#21     Jul 13, 2007
  2. Daxtrader

Daxtrader

Some Americans are afraid to admit how wrong this war is because they have kids in Iraq. Imagine saying to yourself "My son is fighting in Iraq for absolutely nothing, a total scam". Scary thought. They would rather have blind faith in this administration and just refuse to ask questions until it is too late. Wake the fuck up and bring your children home.

#22     Jul 13, 2007
  3. djxput

djxput

I think Powell is more respectable then Rumsfield or Bush ... BUT

Pre the Iraq invasion I had the opportunity to watch the news everyday. And do you know who was on tv almost everyday trying to convince the UN, the world, and the guliable US people?
    Rumsfield, Powell and Bush were on TV almost every other day 'spewing' lies about how we should invade Iraq.

IMO the only people whom deserve credit for opposing the War are those that opposed it pre-invasion and those that stood up and said "I oppose this war" during the invasion (or shortly after). Not those whom casually questioned the war and puplically advocated the US to invade Iraq; or those that 'opposed' the war but when it came to voting for the war you voted for invasion because it was 'the politically correct thing to do'.

The only thing I have to say is "Congrats Bush, Powell, Rumsfield and those that supported the war; Now we have less stability in the region, more terrorists, more US deaths and permanent injuries, less political clout around the world, and a huge financial burden ... oh and good luck with Iran now."

#23     Jul 13, 2007
  4. Powell has a lot of nerve to be playing the "if only they had listened to me" game. I don't recall him resigning in protest. He waits four years until it is clear Iraq is a mess and then says how he warned them. If it had been a stunning success, i really doubt this would be what he would be saying. It would be more about how he carried the day at the UN.

As for his advice, he told Bush it would be difficult to invade and occupy an Arab country. What a genius, who knew? Bush could get that advice from any desk officer at State. He needed someone to come up with a plan to make it work. Instead, the State Department concocted the ridiculous plan that resulted in a choice of al qaeda or Iran-backed shia crazies in charge of Iraq. But at least we respected their cultural traditions.

#24     Jul 13, 2007
  5. maxpi

maxpi

I'd say "my kid is fighting for nothing and doing a damned fine job of it".

#25     Jul 13, 2007
  6. Strange, no comments from bush snr ........

#26     Jul 13, 2007
  7. If we come back with our tails between our legs as some think we
    should do, then Iraq will be for nothing.

The Democrats would love nothing more than to see this happen.
    Even some Republicans are being brainwashed into this thinking.

Now that is a scary thought... Repubs bending over for Dems...

#27     Jul 14, 2007
  8. Another klannish "stay the course" fanatic...

#28     Jul 14, 2007