Poverty on the rise....and the rich get richer....

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ZZZzzzzzzz, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Doesn't this increase coincide with the illegal population increase? :)

#11     Apr 20, 2006
  2. saxon

saxon

*yawn*

#12     Apr 20, 2006
  3. Where does it say anything in here about 'Poverty being on the rise'??

In my opinion, this is another example of intellectual dishonesty from Z. Check out the 'Muslim Nascar' thread for another recent example.

By the way, Z.... I had asked you in another thread to explain why you have backed off from the assertion that the origin of human life on earth is 'Magistrates were materialized out of pure potentiality' and also that the earth is 1,982,765,384 years old exactly (you had rejected the idea that the actual number might be 1,982,765,383 or 1,982,765,385).

Could you tell us why the sudden change of heart? Also, I has asked you about your assertion that the phrase 'Goose Stepping' did not evoke images of Nazi Germany. I noticed that you had made that assertion but when questioned, you had decided not to provide any clarifications. Could you provide them now, either here or in the original thread?

Also, I wonder how you feel, in retrospect, about the suggestion you made that one of the members here should be told that their children may be subjected to pedophilic attacks. In retrospect, are you still of the opinion that the joke you were making (obviously it was a joke) was a funny one? I am just wondering how you reconcile that joke with your Christian values?

We would appreciate any clarifications you can provide.

Nik

#13     Apr 20, 2006
  4. Zzzzz? ZZzzzzzzzzzz? ZZzzzz?

(crickets chirping)

p.s. Zzz has Christian values? Ah yes, I forgot he has a close relationship with God, so he must have Christian values. Clearly his actions here on ET stem from those moments when he is possessed by Satan.

#14     Apr 20, 2006
  5. Drivers Turn To Pawn Shops For Gas Money

Thu Apr 20, 11:33 PM ET

Gas stations in Madison are charging nearly $3 a gallon for unleaded gas, which is driving some residents to open their garages, attics and jewelry boxes for extra gas money.

Steve Shapiro spent $38 on 13 gallons of gas at the Marathon Station on East Washington Thursday, and said he has recently shortened his commute to save some cash.

"That was actually the exact reason I moved last summer when gas prices were high," said Shapiro.

And as prices edge $3 in Madison, others are digging deeper in their wallets -- or attics -- for gas money.

At Rick's Olde Gold on Williamson Street, the owner's seen a recent increase in people selling things for long trips.

"Just a few weeks ago a guy was going to Milwaukee, and he had a little piece of scrap gold that looked like it was a broken gold pendant. It was worth about $15 in gold so I offered him about $12, and he said that's not enough gas I'm going to Milwaukee," said owner Rick Paoli.

Paoli said people have been selling things for gas at his shop for a long time.

"People sell a lot of gold bands, little gold coins, silver rings. People always think they can sell a silver ring and get gas money, but the little silver rings you pay $25-30 for are worth 50 cents or a dollar worth of silver maybe," said Paoli.

Other pawns shops in he area are also seeing the trend. Shops WISC-TV contacted from Madison to Janesville said the need for gas is driving many more sellers in, to take more money with them to the pump.

But while the high prices are driving some to the pawn shop, commuter Jeffrey Gafner said he'll stick to just cutting back.

"Already we drive less, we try to take fewer trips into Madison, combine trips a little bit," said Gafner.

#15     Apr 21, 2006
  6. Pabst

Pabst

What's the point? It looks to me that historically 1 out of 8 Americans live below the poverty line. Are those figures adjusted to reflect Mexican immigrants? If no one was poor do you think anyone would clean a restaurant toilet?

Wealth redistribution occurs via market changes not governmental policy. Example: the average price for a single family home in the Watts section of Los Angeles is over 400k. That means ghetto folk who own homes at a cost basis of near zero are now part of those 14,000,000 households with a half million in assets. For the working poor who are jealous of the gains posted by the middle class: if you think your lot in life is going to be better when the S&P trades 975 eighteen months from now, you better get a reality check.

#16     Apr 21, 2006
  7. Since 2000, poverty has increased by over 33%....

That is not due to immigration....

The explosion of personal BK's are not due to immigration....

Record profits by corporations during this period, and the rich getting richer are also not due to immigration....

#17     Apr 21, 2006
  8. But Pabst, it's really pretty simple, the rich are getting richer and the rest (not just the poor but middle class as well) are getting poorer. One has to be completely delusional to think that this is a good thing.

#18     Apr 21, 2006
  9. Apr 20, 2006 10:16 pm US/Central
    Texans Going To Pawn Shops To Get Extra Gas $$

Save It
    Email this Article E-mail It
    Print this Article Print It

(CBS 11 News) DALLAS High gasoline prices are causing some people to take desperate measures.

Pawn shops say their business is increasing, with some customers saying they're selling things to buy gas.

Gas prices are climbing again, with most stations prices hovering at, or just below $3.00 a gallon. For some people the high fuel prices are overwhelming.

"We just have customers come in and have to tell us that they need money ‘till the end of the week, for gas to get back and forth to work," said pawn shop owner, Gerald Costner.

Everything from high end jewelry, to name brand purses, and televisions… pawn shop owners say they are seeing it all come in. They say customers are frustrated and have no place to go to get extra cash for gas.

"Some of the construction people tell us they are having to pawn their tools to buy gas, but when they pawn their tools they can't go out and work in the construction business ‘cause their tools are in pawn. So it kind of a catch-22,” Costner said.

Mary Rodriguez has worked at the Casa View Pawn Shop for five years. She says she's seen people of all ages coming in looking for help.

“We've always had a clientele of the young kids, or middle age kids, and now we’re getting an older generation. Which, it just seems wrong that they have to pawn things just to get gas, or ya know, to make ends meet on things like that."

As prices continue to rise at the pumps, many motorists say they don't see things getting better anytime soon, for the consumer.

“It is frustrating, but the thing is they know they can get away with it, because people need gas,” Rodriguez said.

At Casa View Pawn, the owner says they've seen the increase in numbers over the past couple months.

#19     Apr 21, 2006
  10. smallfil

smallfil

This all about people whining and crying. Take a look at who is driving those SUVs and large trucks----the same liberals whining and crying. It is hard for me to commiserate with individuals who do not hold themselves accountable to things they do!!!
    Alright, we don't have control over oil prices but, the way to drive oil prices down is to conserve. When demand goes down, prices go down or have too many people flunked their economics class?
    How many people in the US actual do anything to conserve? In California, all you need to do is drive on the freeways and see these huge trucks and SUVs zipping and zagging like it was NASCAR. Not only do they waste lots of gas----they put the lives of other motorists in danger!!!
    Frankly, I have no sympathies with people who pollutes the most, wastes the most gas and then, whine and cry about sky high gas prices. Go figure.

#20     Apr 22, 2006