POTUS on ballooning debt "I won't be here" when it blows up

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Cuddles, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Cuddles

Cuddles

Trump on Coming Debt Crisis: ‘I Won’t Be Here’ When It Blows Up

Sources close to the president say he has repeatedly shrugged it off, implying that he doesn’t have to worry about the money owed to America’s creditors—currently about $21 trillion—because he won’t be around to shoulder the blame when it becomes even more untenable.

The friction came to a head in early 2017 when senior officials offered Trump charts and graphics laying out the numbers and showing a “hockey stick” spike in the national debt in the not-too-distant future. In response, Trump noted that the data suggested the debt would reach a critical mass only after his possible second term in office.

"Yeah, but I won’t be here,” the president bluntly said, according to a source who was in the room when Trump made this comment during discussions on the debt.

“I never once heard him talk about the debt,” one former senior White House official attested

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-on-coming-debt-crisis-i-wont-be-here-when-it-blows-up

tommcginnis likes this.
  2. SteveM

SteveM

"according to a source who was in the room"

"www.thedailybeast.com"

---------------------------

Going to need better sources on this.

traderob and Clubber Lang like this.
  3. Cuddles

Cuddles

They're breaking it, they get the credit. When FOX gets a scoop, I'll make sure to post it.

4. As long as he doesn't increase the deficit it's a win . Even if he only increases it buy minimal amount, it's a win. But the left will spin it to their favor either way, without realizing who created it in the first place.

MKTrader and Clubber Lang like this.
  5. LOL
    Another completely fabricated non story.

traderob likes this.
  6. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

IMO, there will always be ups and downs in the economy. During times of growth and prosperity, we need to pay down debt so we can borrow during the lean times. Our children should not be made to pay for our life style today.

7. Candidates campaign of something like that, but when the get into office they still want cheap money and excess spending (deficit). Been hearing the same story for 20 years.

Will all end tragically. But like the thread title, "I won't be around when it blows up... that's the next guy's problem".

8. Cuddles

Cuddles

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-debt-crisis-fine-wont-be-here-report-2018-12

US debt currently sits around $21 trillion, and in a few years the US could be paying more in interest on that debtthan on the military or Medicare.

The Treasury Department said in October that the federal government will issue $1.34 trillion in new debt during 2018 — a 146% jump from 2017 and the highest amount of new debt issued since 2010.

The GOP's tax reform law is expected to add $1.5 trillion in debt over the next 10 years and is expected to drive the US's exploding deficit.

9. Visaria

Visaria

AFAIK, every POTUS adds a little bit more debt to the pile ... why should Trump break that tradition?

10. Cuddles

Cuddles

He campaigned on it? Politicians and promises am I right? :rolleyes:

#10     Dec 6, 2018