Potential MyTrack subscribers, beware!

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by MarathonTrading, Jun 16, 2003.

1. horseman

horseman

I, too, got the bogus emails (8). The virus must have gotten inside the Mytrack computer in order to get my email address. What other of my MyTrack information did it get?

#21     Aug 21, 2003
  2. No. The virus does NOT have to be inside myTrack computer. The virus scans the user's address book, as well as cached web pages (ones the user went to) for addresses. It then sends out emails with the virus to addresses it found, with FROM address faked, but also from the list. That means that if the person whose computer is infected had your email address and either the myTrack address in their address book or on one of the pages that they visited, the virus can send the email that looks like it came from one person to the other.

#22     Aug 21, 2003
  3. horseman

horseman

I still don't understand. I have talked to several mytrack customers and all have received bogus emails. I have talked to several people not mytrack customers. They have not received the emails.
    1) The virus knows my email address.
    2) The virus knows I'm a Mytrack customer.

How does it know I'm a Mytrack customer if not from Mytrack's computer.

#23     Aug 21, 2003
  4. Sigh, the virus does NOT know you are a mytrack client. Chances are that you correspond with other people who have a mytrack account. Their computer got infected so the virus is sending emails from their computer, but with bogus address, to tons of other addresses, yours included.

I received over 500 of those virus emails just since midnight. They have come from all over - Microsoft, Ameritrade, DATEK, TheStreet.com etc. That does not mean that those computers are the ones infected.

http://news.com.com/2100-1002_3-5066444.html?tag=fd_top

Sobig.F [virus], like previous versions of the virus, uses an e-mail address other than the victim's as the apparent source of e-mail messages that it sends to spread itself. Many antivirus systems send an alert that notifies the apparent sender of viral e-mail messages that they are infected, even when the malicious program is known to forge the source's e-mail address. The result: More spam to clog the Internet's arteries.

#24     Aug 21, 2003
  5. maxpi

maxpi

I still don't have PR Newswire and today the servers have changed my profile back to the default, unreadable font and colors for the hundredth time and I'm getting no historical headlines before today.

But, TRAC announced a 1 cent dividend today so that makes it seem better somehow, not that I have any of their stock.

#25     Aug 25, 2003