Pot legalization gains momentum in California

Discussion in 'Politics' started by drjekyllus, Oct 7, 2009.

1. http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h6W7KC63V4xxIsSnUT7zLcWc6upwD9B6FADG3

By MARCUS WOHLSEN (AP) – 6 hours ago

SAN FRANCISCO — Marijuana advocates are gathering signatures to get at least three pot-legalization measures on the ballot in 2010 in California, setting up what could be a groundbreaking clash with the federal government over U.S. drug policy.

At least one poll shows voters would support lifting the pot prohibition, which would make the state of 40 million the first in the nation to legalize marijuana.

Such action would also send the state into a headlong conflict with the U.S. government while raising questions about how federal law enforcement could enforce its drug laws in the face of a massive government-sanctioned pot industry.

The state already has a thriving marijuana trade, thanks to a first-of-its-kind 1996 ballot measure that allowed people to smoke pot for medical purposes. But full legalization could turn medical marijuana dispensaries into all-purpose pot stores, and the open sale of joints could become commonplace on mom-and-pop liquor store counters in liberal locales like Oakland and Santa Cruz.

Under federal law, marijuana is illegal, period. After overseeing a series of raids that destroyed more than 300,000 marijuana plants in California's Sierra Nevada foothills this summer, federal drug czar Gil Kerlikowske proclaimed, "Legalization is not in the president's vocabulary, and it's not in mine."

Awesome.

2. i think that this could, like you know, um, ah

what was the question again?

3. dude ..

i'm it for

4. in all seriousness marijuana gets a bad rap....

if we associated it with an enema .. no one would bother with it

5. This should pass.

Outlaw cigarettes, legalize another smoke.

Reminds me of George Carlin routine, when the gov't outlawed toy guns.

6. i agree... having smoked literally pounds of dope in my youth ..

i forgot what i was talking about

7. oh yeah ..

I smoke tobacco ... cigarellos,.... like my life depends on them ...

brings me closer to dirt

8. maxpi

maxpi

Did you guys say something... man, a minute ago I thought one of you guys looked like Arnold Schwarzenegger... I can't say schwarzenegger without laughing, c'mon... [busts up laughing at nothing while friends just stare...]