Postal Service Looks To Cut 40,000 Jobs

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by MrDODGE, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Need a stamp?
    The vending machines that sell stamps are being removed from all United States Postal Service locations.

“It was a decision made at the national level,” Field said. “The vending equipment is old, and they decided to go with the alternative of selling stamps at the convenience counters of retail outlets.”

When asked if the Postal Service is coming out with newer vending machines, Field said the Postal Service has decided to get out of the vending machine business in post office lobbies, except in remote locations where residents don’t have a local store convenience counter.

The remaining machines are to be cannibalized for spare parts."
    http://www.timesnews.net/article.php?id=9004340

#11     Nov 1, 2008
  2. i remember seeing paramutual clerk sat racetrack saying people would never use betting machines. reatil clerks are now the ones in denial... those machines will only get better. i think its "Fresh & Easy" - no clerks, just scanners. cool.

#12     Nov 1, 2008
  3. nevadan

nevadan

Here's my suggestion for the Post Office--Get rid of bulk mail rates. That should cut the volume to be delivered way down. I'm tired of tons of crap from advertisers selling things I don't want or need anyway.

#13     Nov 2, 2008
  4. The Post Office promotes the junk mail. They sell mailing lists even, what I heard. I called them to get it shut down and they referred me to some outfit that tries to get you off all the mailing lists or something but the "resident" addressed stuff I guess it can't be stopped. I didn't purse it further at that point, it ticked me off that they couldn't stop the stuff on their own.. it's got to be the unions dictating those policies. Maybe a boycott of all the advertisers would make a difference..

#14     Nov 2, 2008
  5. boo hoo hoo postal service cutting jobs..cry me a river

no one cares

market will keep going higher

#15     Nov 2, 2008
  6. Please ban the idiot!

#16     Nov 2, 2008
  7. I would think physical mail has been in a progressive down trend year after year, no?

You would think with electronic statements, email, etc..

Remember when you used to get all those paper confirms in the mail! Most of that has stopped, just one example.

#17     Nov 2, 2008
  8. so much for the days of government job security. I wonder if the DMV is hiring?

#18     Nov 3, 2008
  9. Mvic

Mvic

Junk mail is one of the biggest wastes that I can think of. I saved mine for a month in Dec 2006 and it weighed a total of 42lbs, it is much worse these days.

#19     Nov 3, 2008
  10. Mercor

Mercor

Bulk mail works. Very effective marketing tool

#20     Nov 3, 2008