Post FOMC Market Action

Discussion in 'Trading' started by William Rennick, May 10, 2006.

What will be the reaction to the FOMC Policy statement

1. Market will rally

13 vote(s)
    27.7%
  2. Market will selloff

25 vote(s)
    53.2%
  3. Market will be flat

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  1. for the cynic in us,

a pause would send the djia soaring...

a raise would keep things flat.

How do you get more than a 50 pt drop by the close (except for the obligatory 99 point drop in the djia followed by the 49 point short cover like last time)?

if not this time though, then the next.

#21     May 10, 2006
  2. Normally it would but inflation concerns is what has been driving the bond market down in April. Another leg down in bonds and the dollar would definitely bring stocks down.

#22     May 10, 2006
  3. #23     May 10, 2006
  4. What a beautifull Day
    Tho i was shit scared shitting in my pant
    I had a beautifull Day :)

#24     May 10, 2006
  5. CPI & PPI next week should dismiss any notion of a rate pause. Just look aT energy and metals. But this goverment may just fudge the number sort of like WMD.

#25     May 10, 2006
  6. Pabst

Pabst

Great comments Steve. As usual. Very similar to 1987. Dollar weakness, rising rates, and parabolic up move in gold. Stocks could only stay in their own little world for so long.....

#26     May 10, 2006
  7. disagree...

as long as USD moves down and gets crushed all assets across all classes will continue to inflate....

The fed wants to pay off US debt with worthless dollars all the while making the public perceive they are getting "rich" as the Dow hits "new" highs... imo

#27     May 10, 2006
  8. Thanks Pabst. I also noticed the same parallel. Stocks have either topped this week or will do so in a month from now if bonds survive the FOMC statement blunder and rally for a few weeks like they were set to do, before resuming their downward trend later in June.

#28     May 10, 2006
  9. Pabst

Pabst

I agree that if the dollar did indeed plunge, there would be asset appreciation as measured in, dollars! Clearly the three year bull has been correlated to dollar weakness. But have the Dax, Cac, FTSE, and Nikkei's rallies been tied to their respective currency's strength? Since I'm not a macro bear in the Dollar, (I shorted 135's early last year) I don't see your scenario. http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=662269&highlight=euro#post662269

[/i]

#29     May 10, 2006
  10. moo

moo

Maybe in theory, but in practice inflation has always been deadly for stocks.

#30     May 11, 2006