Post economic collapse game plan

Discussion in 'Economics' started by chrisjs87, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Tell me, when is the last time there has ever been a need for large supplies of food and ammo? Do you doom and gloomers really believe the USA is going to collapse and turn into a state of sheer chaos? Too many sci-fi movies...

Reminds me of stories from the 50's about people who built bomb shelters and stocked up on food and ammo to protect against the inevitable war with the commies. How did that turn out?

#11     Mar 4, 2010
  2. Look, preparation varies by individual. Some go completely off grid, others just have a lot of canned food stored. And most that prepare are in-between those two extremes.

But look at it this way, I have fire insurance on my house, not just because the mortgageholder requires it, but I prefer to have it. But what are the odds my house catching fire? Pretty slim to nil.

I think the odds of a temporary breakdown caused by an economic dislocation are higher than my house catching fire. So it's logical, to me, to prepare. I prepare for my house catching fire by having insurance, right?

Preparing doesn't consume my life; I'm not exactly hunting squirrels right now you know? But I have cash, some PMs, extra food, and have a solid network of nearby friends and family. That's it. If you could see my house and see me, there's no way you would know that I made preparations. Life still goes on.

And by the way, my flood and homeowners insurance costs me thousands over a period of 5 years. The cost of being prepared? A lot less. So you weigh risk with "insurance" cost - it's a no-brainer.

#12     Mar 4, 2010

3. Here is an article written by someone who experienced the collapse in Argentina a little over a decade ago.

http://www.silverbearcafe.com/private/10.08/tshtf1.html

I think a good plan should look like good insurance ... or stop loss orders.
    People carry differing levels of insurance to suit their needs.

Investors put parameters of risk in place they are comfortable with.

You don't see railing on people for having insurance or stop loss orders.
    That would be obviously stupid.

Yet you see railing against people who take extra precautions based on their views
    of "insuring" or providing for a "stop loss" in the event of catastrophic economic failure.

You don't see people railing against ship owners for carrying life rafts or life boats.
    That would be stupid.

So ... people should have as a minimum ... a 30 day supply of food and water for their family.

An emergency plan in place that fits their possible emergency situations ...
    whether those be natural, societal, or economic disasters.

If you live close to a city where their is racial tension and a
    history of riots and crime ... then it would be wise
    to insure against those conditions.

If you enjoy camping and the outdoors and have a solid truck
    able to tow and the space on your property to have a
    trailer and $10K-$20K isn't too much in your budget ...
    then having a fully stocked travel trailer that you use
    during summers is a nice solution.

#13     Mar 4, 2010
  4. Guns and ammo, eh? And what will you key board warriors do with your guns and ammo? Ever shot anyone? Ever been shot at? Ever seen a human body blown to pieces? Ever hear a person screaming in agony? Ever have someones blood splattered on you? Shit, you'll be peeing your pants when the first round goes off.
    You want to know what you'll do should the country actually collapse. You'll stand in line and do as you're told, that's what! If the country actually goes down, which I doubt, the lucky ones will die early.
    Doesn't mean hard times aren't coming, they are. Have some cash, little extra land would be nice, grow some food, keep your family close. Other than that, hope it don't come to guns and ammo, cause if it does, you ain't ready and you ain't gonna' be ready...ever. Bank on that!

#14     Mar 4, 2010
  5. jprad

jprad

There will always be someone better armed and better trained than you are.

It's one thing for a rich, urban professional to do well in paintball and quite another to come out on top when an organized group of para-military types want what you have.

#15     Mar 4, 2010
  6. If it comes to that, we'll all get a lesson in Darwinism... "survival of the fittest"... and that will mean the aggressive, ruthless, organized, armed and trained will prevail. The rest will be their victims.

Let's hope our politicos come to their senses and put a halt to our spiraling destruction...

And lest you think otherwise... we all should recognize that an "excessive debt implostion" is the MOST likely cause of such a desperate scenario. And what are we doing as a country and personally??

#16     Mar 4, 2010
  7. Good points ... but naive as to just what people will resort to in their survival ...
    given the right conditions.

History and historic change has been shaped by men with metal.
    Most don't have it as you stated ...

But as history has proved ... amongst the thousands and thousands of cowards
    ... there is often a man of courage and integrity and the desire to
    stand for what is right, good and just even to their peril.

#17     Mar 4, 2010
  8. Yeah, we used to have some of those. We now refer to them as The Founding Fathers... who pledged their "life, liberty, property, and sacred honor" for the pursuit of freedom.

What do we have today? Half of the population is SITTING ON THEIR ASS... IN FRONT OF A BIG SCREEN TV... SUBSIDIZED WITH TAXPAYER $$$, AND WILLING TO SELL THEIR VOTE TO THE ONE WHO PROMISES THEM THE BIGGEST GOVERNMENT CHECK.... and their vote counts as much as those who work their asses off! Makes we want to puke.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

#18     Mar 4, 2010
  9. The only plan worth mentioning if you truly believe total and complete economic collapse is coming is adjusting your lifestyle today, start to hide your wealth from the government and your surroundings. Dispose yourself of all visable luxury.

Don't come out of sleeper cell mode untill after a few years of readjustment in society.

Have hunger with your neighbours.

I think Marc Faber is a legend but these buy a farm advices are just plain silly imo.

So as a rich Wall Street banker you have a couple of million USD, you buy a farm and hire some goons to protect you from the angry starving mob.... right.:p

What a joke.

#19     Mar 4, 2010
  10. yeah
    i don't understand the farm thing either
    tending to cows and plowing land seems like a bad job already.
    why would I plan to be a titty milker.

#20     Mar 4, 2010