Possible to get PDT designation permanently?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by turkeyneck, Jun 5, 2015.

1. I'm a position trader but occasionally need the 4x margin. Is it possible to get the PDT designation permanently so I don't have to make 6 random day trades from time to time just to stay PDT?

2. Occam

Occam

I'm pretty sure it stays with your account by default as long as you stay above the $25k minimum. But be aware that the overnight margin is still a max of 2x -- the 4x is intraday only.

A possible alternative, if your broker offers it, is "customer portfolio margin", which doesn't have overnight vs. day distinctions (at least not by law) nor do you need to trade 6 times intraday with the account to enable it (you apply for it explicitly). "Portfolio margin" usually requires a larger minimum account size, $100k at many of the discount brokers that offer it. Just be careful if you use PM, as it allows for much more leverage than Reg T (only 15% equity required, even for overnight, on fully marginable portfolios).

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    VPhantom and cjbuckley4 like this.
  3. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

Occam is correct. Stay over $25K and you can get as much as 4X during the day and 2X overnight. However this is the max leverage and your broker might not include all securities with that leverage. EG stocks under $5.00.

4. i960

i960

Or trade futures and don't bother with any of it plus Even More(tm) leverage. :)

5. Also please read your brokers requirements for opening a stock trade on margin versus maintaining a stock position. They are different. I only say this if you occasionally hold a stock overnight. Some brokers are very bad (lax, even some big ones) about letting you go over margin midday and when they reconcile at night, you can get a surprise margin call that you were not expecting. No matter what the margin allowance screen shows midday, you as the trader are "solely responsible" for staying in bounds.