Possible Etrade Fraud

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by tradingbug, Jun 10, 2005.

1. I will not PM you but wanted to say thanks again for the help.

#21     Jun 10, 2005
  2. Ebo, i am sorry you do not approve of me coming on here to give my side of the story and asking for advice. If this situation ever happens to you, and you ask for help, i hope people do not treat you the way you treat other people when they ask for advice. You are a class A (fill in the blank).

Best of luck in the future. Please do not read my updates on Etrade as your help is of no help. I thought other people who have an account with Etrade might want to know how to deal with this type of situation and know what type of retail firm they are dealing with.

For everyone else who gave advice, thankyou. I will give you an update when I hear from them to let you know if the FPIC or SIPC covers it.

#22     Jun 10, 2005
  3. nkhoi

nkhoi

these people is just trying to shift the blame, you should write exactly what Etrade clerk told you, date, time and name if possible, make a journal of what action you take, they take, date, time, people name as time drag on you might forget which is what, all of this may be use to build a case of how casual they are in protecting your money.

#23     Jun 10, 2005
  4. Dude, LIGHTEN UP. Who pissed in your cereal this morning?

#24     Jun 10, 2005
  5. Unfortunately this is a common problem with online brokers and banks. 3 months ago there was a segment on the 6 o'clock news with a guy who had the same exact thing happen to his Etrade account. They told him it was his fault for not having a firewall and protecting his computer from hackers. The legal analyst they interviewed for the story agreed it was the customer's fault and responsibility. Sorry, :( hopefully your case is differnt.

Check the terms of you agreeement, you may not be able to take them to court, there was probably a clause in their agreement for binding arbitration.

SIPC won't insure this, SIPC insures if Broker or clearing firm go bankrupt and company doesn't have enough funds to pay back customer accounts.

Etrade is currently installing a new policy, every customer will be receiving a RAS token, it is a little device that spits out a new 8 digit number every 20 seconds, and to log onto to your account you need to type in the current 8 digit number for that 20 second window. This way only the person who has this device can login to the account. It is an attempt to stop what happened to you.

To wire the money out of your account, the account the money was wired to would have to be in your name also. They can't wire the money to an account with someone else's name with out written authority from you. Check into this.
    They probably won't give you any info or let you into the account because they are still investigating it, maybe they already involved Feds because the same person did this to multiple accounts. Also their lawyers want them to cover their asses and not give out info that makes them liable. Also they can't be sure you are you and not the hacker/imposter who stole the funds.

Sorry I don't have better info for you.

#25     Jun 10, 2005
  6. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

I believe money wired requires a routing number and account number. Those should be easily traceable.

#26     Jun 10, 2005
  7. Ebo

Ebo

Now if only you could delete your other 6111 posts!

#27     Jun 10, 2005
  8. I am taking all of your advices and will give you an update next week. Thanks again and I hope you guys have a great weekend.

It really was appreciated.

#28     Jun 10, 2005
  9. NOW you are back on track!!!

Of course, only you and me will get it because the other posts were deleted.

:D

#29     Jun 10, 2005
  10. 6112

#30     Jun 10, 2005