Possible end of GBP

Discussion in 'Economics' started by JSSPMK, Dec 22, 2008.

What do you think?

1. Agree

22 vote(s)
    36.1%
  2. Disagree

30 vote(s)
    49.2%
  3. Don't know

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. JSSPMK

JSSPMK

I would say 1:1 Euro if not less & 1:5 GBP/USD, if USD is to continue its decline vs other majors, than again I don't get involved in FA, so just have a laugh :)

#21     Dec 23, 2008
  2. JSSPMK

JSSPMK

I thought they are an Indian issue now (Tata).

#22     Dec 23, 2008
  3. just21

just21

Tata made $5 bn last year and are going to sponsor the ferrari F1 team next year. There are two many marginal constituencies in the west midlands for the government not to bail it out though.

#23     Dec 23, 2008
  4. JSSPMK

JSSPMK

Why bail them out, if we have seen the future of auto industry. I want a Honda :)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vocy_LmpZlM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vocy_LmpZlM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

#24     Dec 23, 2008
  5. zdreg

zdreg

people said that the germans would never give up the mark.. when the time came there was a mad rush to convert to euros.

that being said this thread is on the wrong track.. the question is when will the euro be history? when will the german mark come back? the above is probably worth a thread or two in itself.
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/searc...=2735598&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

#25     Dec 23, 2008
  6. JSSPMK

JSSPMK

#27     Dec 23, 2008
  7. Can't see it. Island nations don't tend to be joiners. My impression of the Brits from my short vacation there last year is that they are very attached to their island, and already resent the inroads the EU has made into their sovereignty. Going beyond what they've already given up is going to be a very very tough sell.
    Good thing too.

#28     Dec 23, 2008
  8. Even though the Prince of Darkness wants GB to ditch sterling the power rests with Crash Gordon and he is too much of a control freak to let go. The decision is political at the end of the day.

As for there being no bottom in sight, my contrarian side kicks in when I hear such bearishness. When the charts show no support, it doesn't mean that support won't be found. What about when the Euro hit all time lows against the Dollar soon after it's inception? There was definitely no support present on the charts but it has rallied quite a bit since.

No-one need convince me of how shit things are in the UK or what a mess Crash Gordon has made of the public finances. I just don't see that things are so much better elsewhere.
    I think the pound will survive and bounce from here. & yes, I am talking my book...

#29     Dec 23, 2008
  9. JSSPMK

JSSPMK

That was a new currency, apples & oranges ImPO. But let's not mix retracements with reversals also.

#30     Dec 24, 2008