Possible default in December gold??

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by bond tr4der, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Thanks nazzdack .
    So I assume the gold 1 year future contract premiums are always similar to this $1000 ( more or less based on small change in interest rates ..)

#31     Nov 12, 2008
  2. achilles28

achilles28

Max Keiser confirmed the rumor about a December COMEX default on gold.

Says a bunch of playas gonna take delivery next month because they know comex has been spec'ing the price downward.

No idea if its true.

Considering the insane amount of printing over the last decade, and forthcoming, yea, I think there's a slight chance investors will start taking big delivery.

#32     Nov 13, 2008
  3. achilles28

achilles28

The rumor according to Max, the parties taking delivery are major gold producers and investors. An attempt to stop the downward manipulation by COMEX thats put many gold producers out of business!

#33     Nov 14, 2008
  4. Mecro

Mecro

That's funny cause the question I ask has been speculated upon by many long time traders & investors. Noone can figure out who has been selling the contracts. Noone has pointed any evidence that COMEX even takes positions.

While you would not even know where to check on physical versus paper data, as easy as it is to find.

#34     Nov 17, 2008
  5. Mecro

Mecro

Where does it state that COMEX takes proprietary positions?

http://www.nymex.com/ss_main.aspx?pg=0

That's the official stance of the exchange. If it's a bunch of traders selling, then it's just a bunch of speculators going bankrupt OR running up spot in a covering frenzy. This has happened before, by the way.

#35     Nov 17, 2008
  6. Its just a rumor.

My guess is a lot will take delivery, but no default, and the next expiration, supplies will be a lot tighter.

#36     Nov 17, 2008
  7. achilles28

achilles28

Hey, I'm just recapping what he said, dawg.

#37     Nov 17, 2008
  8. Mecro

Mecro

I know and some industry insiders have said the same but the exchange does not even have any incentive to take any proprietary positions ever. Unless someone is pulling the strings from behind the scene.

I think mostly likely scenario is a scramble to cover to avoid deliveries.

#38     Nov 18, 2008
  9. The shorts normally cover to avoid delivery, so why is December going to be different?

#39     Nov 18, 2008
  10. Mecro

Mecro

Cause you can settle the delivery with a cash transaction, which is a better option if you just want to lock in gain based on the net dollar amount.

The premonition is that investors & dealers are buying contracts not to speculate but to take delivery at the spot price. So they will demand the actual product and won't settle for the equivalent cash amount.

#40     Nov 18, 2008