Position sizing

Discussion in 'Options' started by tradebanzai, Apr 22, 2006.

1. kny3

kny3

Hey tradebanzai.

Ask 10 traders their favorite options books & you'll get at least 10 different answers. My list (Amazon, everything ~40% off):

Beginner: Thomsett - "Getting Started in Options", inexpensive, easy to read
    Intermediate: McMillan has 2 "Options as a Strategic Investment", fairly expensive, almost like textbook, 6th ed(?).
    McMillan on Options, lots of him explaining strategies
    Advanced: Natenberg - Option Volatility & Pricing, my copy 10 years old, its a very good book
    LEAPS: Understanding LEAPS Allaire & Kearney, replaced Roth Book which is not in print anyway, intermediate

Options Institute book OK but I wouldn't spend $$ for it

kny 3 :cool:

#11     Apr 24, 2006
  2. I would skip the Thomsett book. It's way too brief. Save your money and go straight to McMillan "Option as Strategic Investment" before making your first trade. Most of these books are available from your local library.

#12     Apr 24, 2006
  3. kny3

kny3

That's right, he's a beginner so have him skip the beginner book, Thomsett, it must go for at least $12 to $14 on Amazon with free shipping. If you are going to try to make this work, buy them 1 at a time so you have them as a reference for a long time. I'd hate to be in the middle of a trade waiting for the McMillan book to be returned to my local library.
    kny 3

:cool:

#13     Apr 24, 2006
  4. Thanks everybody for your support.
    What would you advice to read first: McMillan or Natenberg? Is Natenberg too complicated?
    Are options good for swing trading (few days) or weeks or more time period preferred?
    And what programs do you use for options trading?

Thanks

#14     Apr 25, 2006
  5. McMillan covers everything you need to know about options. Natenberg talks specifically about the Greeks, pricing, etc.

#15     Apr 25, 2006
  6. kny3

kny3

I suggest reading McMillan before the Natenberg book.
    kny 3 :cool:

#16     Apr 25, 2006
  7. cnms2

cnms2

#17     Apr 25, 2006