Position Sizing

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by peregrinecap, Aug 29, 2012.

1. shouldn't there be a dollar size amount? like what if your trading a 10k or 20k account ... five percent is super small.. its almost impossible not to over concentrate!

#31     Sep 11, 2012
  2. what the hell do you want? Some kind of free lunch? Heck yes there is a limit. Why do you think we always tell people they are undercapitalized? Just because you can afford it doesn't mean you should do it.

That is why I like spot forex. If you do it right there is just absoluteley no excuse for being under capitalized.

Number one reason for failure is undercapitalization

number two reason is gullibility

I suppose number three is just being unlucky (that's the one that worries me)

#32     Sep 11, 2012
  3. NoDoji

NoDoji

You nailed it. I trade far more instinctively now than I used to and I can't even explain a lot of it. I watch price react to a level, then I react to the setup without as much "overthinking" as I used to do. If there's no well-defined trend, I trade small and also exit very quickly if there's no wind at my back after I enter.

I guide a novice trader just as I was guided. Bighog told me to learn to trade 1 lot ES; Sal told me learn to trade 1 lot CL. If you learn to trade 1 lot of something, you can't "cheat" by averaging down. Averaging down has its place...in the hands of a professional only. A novice needs to learn to trade straight up, no gimmicks. The advanced stuff can come later.

If you're consistently profitable trading 1 lot, if your actual results are pretty close to your backtested results, then add a lot, and keep adding as long as the results increase commensurately. If you reach a point where the size begins negatively influencing your trade management, then in the words of Marty Schwartz's wife, “Get smaller, get smaller.”

#33     Sep 12, 2012
  4. options.. and more options.. must be in options

#34     Sep 12, 2012
  5. no kidding man, that's exactly how I started out. Back then they called them OEX options, I don't know if they even still trade them now. They were options on the S&P 100 index.

It's a rough way to go. The worst feeling I ever had was when I was trading some OPM and got caught legging in to a calendar spread and in a few minutes had lost more than the account was worth.

And that was after I explained to them that it was a very conservative strategy.

#35     Sep 12, 2012
  6. One of the biggest things in this game

#36     Sep 12, 2012
  7. haha... i started out just outright buying premium... caught me for like 5 grand in one of my first trades.. i learned about theta quick like... i trade alot of flys and ratios...

#37     Sep 12, 2012
  8. yeah it doesn't take you long to figure out that they really don't offer you anything on a regular basis that is worth buying. And selling isn't that much better.

#38     Sep 12, 2012
  9. Ya chose your weapon of self destruction long vol or short.

Bleed slow or blow up all of a sudden

#39     Sep 12, 2012
  10. You realize that anyone can write down a sequence of gains and claim he is achieving that in real trading. If you cannot produce any records to back your statements, better refrain from such practice imo. That is all I have to say. Bye.

#40     Sep 13, 2012