% Poseurs on ET?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Thunderdog, Oct 15, 2005.

What % of ET members do you think are poseurs?

1. 0% - 25%

5 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. 26% - 50%

14 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. 51% - 75%

20 vote(s)
    22.5%
  4. 76% - 95% (note my optimistic limit)

50 vote(s)
    56.2%
  1. I have been visiting ET regularly now for a few years, and I get the impression that it is in the process of degrading somewhat.

When I first joined, I thought it was a fairly useful resource, even though I identified a number of poseurs. There are some in just about every crowd. However, I am getting the impression that these poseurs are beginning to crowd out everyone else. Does anyone share this impression? It seems that nearly everyone here is making outsized profits regularly with little or no drawdowns. Firm price forecasts are available at the drop of a hat. Perhaps I am mistaken, but ET seems to be getting overrun by self-styled overnight gurus and their toadies.

Perhaps this is my clarion call.

2. It's not as bad as it was 6 months ago when pretty girl and her gang was here.

I remember people bragging how they were prop traders making $20 million a year with 2000 to 1 leverage. If you called bs, you were verbally assaulted by the whole gang.

3. I think ET has 3 distinct underlying divisions.

1. the hard-core trader/tech talk/discussions - that are so advanced I've gotten headaches just trying to read thru a few posts.

2. the intermediate threads/posts that mix trader-talk and theories with some BSing. Very excellent and friendly Q/A-type structure that is important.

3. the lighter, whimsical, comical parts that seem to be sprinkled throughout ET - non-serious stuff, just for stress relief and kidding around. ET has very good, talented writers and even comedians among its membership. Some the best in the world.

overall, I think ET has a little something for everyone.

If I were you I would not be too harsh in your dissecting ET and trying to categorize and reform it into a rigid mandatory speech-regulated, overly-monitored environment.

doing that that inhibits personal growth: and there are people here from all levels of expertise, experience and backgrounds - from seasoned, highly-accomplished and professional traders to beginners.

Baron and the mods are doing a great job keeping ET open to the masses.

sKaLpEr

4. you forgot one other category ---

the disbelieving and depressed --- they have to prove in every post there is no way trading can be done successfully as to rationalize their own inabilities to succeed. seems to be many here --- to bad.

5. I agree, MacroEvent, they're called pessimists.

they constantly try to 'beat up' better, progressing traders.

6. I've seen quite a few characters who start posting as total newbies and 3-4 mos. later claim they're making BIG bucks and giving out advice like they've been trading for 20 years. Also see others who begin posting claiming they're doing 10-20-30 contracts and have some super-duper way of trading but little by little leaving hints that they're really either 1-lot traders or maybe even paper trading. Some even maintain other websites/blogs etc. with all their prognostications and charts. All this stuff takes time. I know that at the end of the day trading, I'm tired and don't want to do/put up charts on some site for others to look at. Indeed a lot of posers here in the last year or 2 and it gets annoying.
    I miss the old days when Hitman was around. Even when there was disagreement, at least the site had some value then. Now, it's mostly newbie questions, posers, vendors, and useless bs.

But, well, I don't know of any other better site, so I keep coming back.:D

7. risktaker --- well i have been trading for 8 years now and it is still very exciting for me --- i guess it has a lot to do with a persons passion.

8. I suppose that there may be such people here as well. However, please be assured that I know full well and beyond any doubt that the markets can be traded successfully.

What I have difficulty with is the omniscient youngsters who just recently started trading and who are now trading monster size almost effortlessly for immense profits and virtually no drawdown. There seem to be so many of them popping up, that they are crowding out us somewhat more average Joes who really have to work at it, and not just "visualize" success to make it so. Where is Jack Schwager when you need him? He could easily write another 4 or 5 Wizard books using just some of the newer members here. (Just warn him not to employ any objective judgment or critical assessment, lest he betray his own pessimism, depression and ineptitude. Only fawning and adulation seem to do.)

9. ozzy

ozzy

Maybe I should create another website. But one similar to that dating website where only good looking people are allowed. On this website we will only have top traders making minimum 100K /year if you are not part of this superior group than you will not be allowed to be a member.

After we vacuum all the money in the market we can create a secret society and then make plans to take over the world.

Isn't it great being smarter, better looking, more athletic and taller.

Life is great.

ozzy

10. yes i see these people also --- they are everywhere in life and i already know what life has prepared for this group. HAHAHAHA! :D

#10     Oct 15, 2005