Portfolio123

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by chaimshmerel, Jan 31, 2006.

1. BT, how often do you rebalance, and do you always use Limit orders?

#21     Feb 7, 2006
  2. asenft

asenft

I just started my free month trial and can't find any large cap screens. They are all geared for low volume stocks. No good.

Actually, I don't mind if they are small or mid either just as long as they are tradable for my portfolio. I posted this on their website but no one had a screen to share. :(

#22     Feb 8, 2006
  3. You need to spend a bit more time. You can copy and modify the existing screens, rankings, etc. to your hearts content. (hint - you'll need to add or modify MktCap and/or AvgVol to suit).

#23     Feb 8, 2006
  4. asenft

asenft

Well, I've been copying simulations for a week now, changing them with:

PctAvgDailyTot(20) < 1

and all of them have problems...

#24     Feb 8, 2006

5. I am also looking for an answer to this. Are they tradable?
    How close can one get to simulated performance??
    Especially in the small cap arena where is seems the best models rebalance as frequently as weekly.
    Would like to know from those who actually trade exactly according to their model.

Thanks,
    Chaim

#25     Feb 9, 2006
  6. Your parameter worked fine for my sim.

For my sim, I started from scratch, used a ranking I had created, and then entered my usual criteria (primarily price, volume, and weighting related checks) plus yours.

Try AvgVol(60) >= 200000 to cut out the low volume stocks (drop the PctAvgDailyTot just to see).

If that doesn't help you'll have to be a bit more specific than "have problems".

Good luck.

#26     Feb 9, 2006
  7. asenft

asenft

What's your sim? The problems I have are that they don't work in the bear market years (around 2001, 2002).

200000 is too low for me. I've traded stocks like those before and I encountered sitting on my hands waiting for my limit order to go through on the ask price. 500,000 might work...

#27     Feb 9, 2006
  8. These are questions you should be asking on the P123 message boards. Frankly, it's going to be difficult for you to take a sim that was designed for small cap stocks and modify them for larger caps, and come up with good results.

If you are comfortable with trading small caps, yes, the sims are tradable. If small caps make you nervous, then I would stay away unless you can design a sim from scratch that you are comfortable with.

#28     Feb 9, 2006
  9. Modify to whatever volume suits you. Personally, I'd look for a new broker if buying on the ask isn't almost instantaneous.

NO, I repeat NO, diversified large cap sim is going to work in the bear market years of 2001-2002. Quit wasting your time. You might find a small value, sector-specific, or undiversified size sim that did okay during that period, but forget about large cap or broad market sims. There are times not to own stocks.

You might entertain adding some sort of technical criteria, such as not buying below the 200 day moving average (haven't checked to see if that's possible). See if that gets you where you want to go.

Disclaimer: I use the site as a fundamental screening tool. I then apply my own technical methods to that subset. However, I do like running the sims to see if my screening and ranking parameters offer any edge over the broad market. I don't think a single sim or screener I have worked in 2001-2002. I don't expect them to.

#29     Feb 9, 2006
  10. asenft

asenft

Yeah, I knew it would be too good to be true. You never know with these services unless you check them out. They do have some limited technicals like moving averages but probably not enough to weather a bear market for *higher* volume stocks.

#30     Feb 10, 2006