Portfolio Margin Broker Comparison

Discussion in 'Options' started by MegaDeth, Aug 29, 2009.

Broker with the best portfolio margin

1. Interactive Brokers

15 vote(s)
    40.5%
  2. ThinkOfSwim

16 vote(s)
    43.2%
  3. OptionsXpress

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  1. gkishot

gkishot

Is your margin in the morning any different from the margin calculated in the overnight margin report? The margin report should be your point of reference.

#11     Aug 30, 2009
  2. MegaDeth

MegaDeth

What time is the overtime margin report calculated and available? I will pay attention tomorrow to it and report.

#12     Aug 30, 2009
  3. gkishot

gkishot

It's ready at the same time as the last business day account statement. You can see now the margin report for Friday. If you look after that at the TWS dashboard margin numbers you should see they are the same as on the report. If they are not then call IB support and ask them why they are different. This would be a valid question.

#13     Aug 30, 2009
  4. 1) Yes, I can complete my orders with two separate orders. I generally do the 1 x 3 x 3 spread and then sell extras as a separate trade.

2) I use IB

3) Portfolio margin worked very well - But it does allow you to carry far more risk than you may want - just because it is available. That is not desirable. The chance for higher profits and greater losses doesn't not always work out well.

4) Trading experience does not help me provide a better reply to this question.

Portfolio margin is truly an individual thing.

Mark

#14     Aug 30, 2009
  5. MegaDeth

MegaDeth

Margin last night (up to 2:30am EST) $105k. Margin this morning $51k. Net change >50%. I need a radical change in either my portfolio or my broker.

#15     Aug 31, 2009
  6. wayneL

wayneL

It's not day margin vs night margin is it? ...like they do with stocks and eminis etc ?

#16     Aug 31, 2009
  7. gkishot

gkishot

Do you trade futures? Futures are different.

#17     Aug 31, 2009
  8. hedgex

hedgex

Today the market moved in my favor as my liquidation value increased -- but my margin increased also.
    On other days, when my value dropped, my margin reqmt soared.
    Is it IB or me who is crazy?

#18     Aug 31, 2009
  9. No one can answer that question without seeing your ENTIRE portfolio.

Mark

#19     Aug 31, 2009
  10. MegaDeth

MegaDeth

Mark,

I understand what you mean. But you know that something is grossly wrong when your margin increases with the market moving in your favor and vice versa. This morning, the market moved against me, yet my current margin requirement dropped from $105K to 51K!! It just doesn't make sense, even without looking at my portfolio! I have also noticed that when instead of closing a position, if I create a credit spread (potentially giving me limited profit), the margin requirement stays high.

It is clear from all the other posts that there is a serious flaw in IB portfolio margin calculations. The rapid whipsaw in the margin required is quite disruptive to my trading style and forces me to make trades that I don't plan for. I am considering ThinkOrSwim if their portfolio margin calculation is reliable and does not have similar issues. This thread would benefit a lot if someone with ToS noted their experience with portfolio margin on this thread.

#20     Sep 1, 2009