Portfolio Margin at ThinkorSwim

Discussion in 'Options' started by opt789, Jun 14, 2007.

1. opt789

opt789

I am anxious to see how it works out too.

"When" is good question for a lot of things, arl. When will they have DOM, automatic stop order placement, time and sales, options on futures, etc. I think they are a good company I just wish they offered more.

#11     Jun 14, 2007
  2. How do you do this? I looked at the tutorial but it looks like the latest version of the software differs from the tutorial. There aren't any controls at the top of the Options panel for changing price, IV, and Days-till-exp like they demostrate in the video.

#12     Jun 14, 2007
  3. opt789

opt789

I have my own analysis software and I have not watched the tutorial, but with that said I see all the controls on my Analyze tab. Are you on the "Risk Profile" tab in the middle of the Analyze page? If so there is a way to plot extra +/- vol % lines or date lines at the top; the date change is in the middle on the right.

#13     Jun 14, 2007
  4. any word from tos on futures options?

#14     Jun 15, 2007
  5. opt789

opt789

I emailed TOS with a few questions, here are the answers:

Q: When will you offer time and sales?
    A: Later this summer

Q: When will you have electronic futures options?
    A: Sometime this summer

Q: Any plans to offer bond or oil futures?
    A: We are considering offering bonds, but no plans on oil yet

They also said they would be adding more order types for futures soon.

#15     Jun 15, 2007
  6. Thanks, Opt. Given IBKR's instant $11b (!) marketcap, TOS is powerfully motivated to become an across-the-board competitor of theirs. Mad Benjamins at stake.

#16     Jun 15, 2007
  7. IBKR is much more than a broker though. Much of their income comes from market making and execution services. In fact TOS uses IB for trade execution.

#17     Jun 18, 2007
  8. opt789

opt789

This is not about PM, but I have to say again that I like thinkorswim. I saw a problem with another client's order today (you can see other spread orders in their platform) and I let them know. They took care of it, and called me to let me know what the problem was. With retail, I have traded at a few different brokers and there is no comparison, I never got the impression at other firms that they actually cared at all.

#18     Jun 21, 2007
  9. .. Yes, but I doubt ToS will restrain its ambitions in order to do IB a favor. TimberHill (ie, IB) is a long-time direct competitor of some of the business partners now associated with ToS (who themselves are/were highly successful options mms back in the day). I expect there will be many more chapters in this story.

#19     Jun 21, 2007
  10. Opt -

Do you have any updates on PM at ToS. I've been getting the same response of "within 2 weeks" since April. Curious as to whether anyone else has received any actual updates.

TIA.

#20     Jul 5, 2007