Portfolio backtesting

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by kut2k2, Aug 25, 2006.

1. kut2k2

kut2k2

I'll take my chances with eod data. Yahoo already creates the bars for me, so I see no point in using intraday data for eod trading, especially when slippage wouldn't allow me perfect fills anyway.

And not even NeoTicker can generate the indicator I'm using. It can only be done by spreadsheet, which I have, or a custom program, which I don't have. I know that sounds incredible but that's the reality of it.

#11     Sep 7, 2006
  2. GA optimization speed-ups the whole portfolio backtesting process, and, sometimes helps in discovering the most profitable settings. IMHO

#12     Nov 9, 2006
  3. All optimizations are the same, other than speed.

It's about the Fitness.

#13     Nov 9, 2006
  4. kut2k2

kut2k2

Hi, Cognition

Pardon my ignorance but exactly what is being optimized by GA? I have a specific class of strategies to be tested, fwiw. Thanks.

#14     Nov 14, 2006
  5. 2006

Genetic Algorithms -- me thinks.

#15     Nov 14, 2006
  6. The backtestt results you get with neovest match your real trading on these very short term trades? How many trades per day or volume per day are you doing, if you dont mind?

#16     Nov 14, 2006
  7. very good point. I hadnt thought of it with those words but I knew that backtesting could help. Can i ask which tool you use and how you like it? i have tried 2 so far and like my current choice.

#17     Nov 15, 2006