popup or pop-under adds

Discussion in 'Politics' started by vikana, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Any recommendations on software to block the annoying popup or pop-under adds?

Yahoo e.g. is getting really irritating with all the X10, life insurance etc.

2. i use POW! from analogx.com.. in conjunction, i also use the google toolbar which has the following option:

"Suppress the onUnload JavaScript event. The onUnload JavaScript event is most often used to open pop-up windows as you leave a page, which can be an annoyance. The following feature will clear the onUnload event after loading each page."

together, this is a great system.

3. I know there is software & freeware available at the CNET website that is supposed to be good. I use ZoneAlarm Pro as a firewall, and it has a pretty good ad blocker built in. I would estimate it stops about 90% of the stuff that was hitting my screen before I used it.

I have heard others have problems with trading software while using ZoneAlarm. I use E-signal & IB, and if I load them PRIOR to launching ZoneAlarm, I have no problems.

4. zonealarm

be careful with one thing. do not uninstall it unless you have it totally deactivated. i tried zonealarm once and i uninstalled it while it was active, by accident. after it uninstalled, i had no internet connection at all. i had to use another computer, download zonealarm, put it on a disk, reinstall it on my computer, run zone alarm, deactivate it, then uninstall it.

it was a total mess. i searched on the internet for help and i saw that many had this same problem. imo, the uninstall routine should make sure zonealarm is inactive before it removes the files, etc.

5. I use Lavasoft Ad-Aware on my, and my clients, machines. It has done a world of good. I also have Zonealarm activated.

Here is the link:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Hope this helps you out! :)

6. Funster

Funster

is the best.

it can kill your internet and/or windows history (excluding wanted cookies of course) in a keystroke.

but the handy little side feature is the pop up killer. it stops all pop ups dead and can even give a little beep to say it's done it, which, I can tell you, is VERY satisfying!

You can also easily toggle it off and on with a hotkey.

For those of you who find yourself at naughty sites in public(!) there is also a boss key. this minimizes all open IE windows instantly.

www.historykill.com

7. i've always thought a good idea for a pop up killer would be one that works off image urls. most pop up killers right now run off the title of pages...but there are a lot of pop ups that are leaving the page title blank. i think a good idea would be to work off the url of the image in the pop up instead.

8. hrifraf

hrifraf

9. i've had real good luck with the Proxomitron.

once you set it up, you're golden.

also, don't forget to place a shortcut to it in your startup folder, otherwise you have to launch it every time you boot up.

10. MrDinky

MrDinky

This program is pretty good. All the others mentioned I'm not familiar with so I don't know how it compares.

http://www.adsgone.com/

:cool:

#10     Oct 1, 2002