Pope: "There is no Hell"

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by vanzandt, Mar 29, 2018.

1. death is hell. life before birth is hell. i don't remember the latter, and i won't recall anything after the former. that's true hell. for those that face reality.

fortunately for everyone reading this we were not born in 1861, and may have died in the civil war (7000 guys died in like an hour one battle, and you had NO CHOICE). or WW1. or WW2. or vietnam. or korean. or Iraq.

unfortunately for us, should we have been born 100 or 200 yrs in the future, we have a chance of living for forever.

we got "screwed" in between a few hundred yrs ...but shouldn't complain.

religion won't save us but science will.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    #41     Sep 29, 2018
    #42     Sep 29, 2018
  3. volpri

volpri

He looks really old and talks old and Dr Grey may be grayheaded...greyheaded...whiteheaded??

#43     Nov 17, 2018
  4. volpri

volpri

How can you be certain about that?

#44     Nov 17, 2018
  5. tomorton

tomorton

Its simple. when you're dead you're dead.

I can only believe in what can be proven to exist by either its physical presence or its physical influences on our world. So no gods or souls.

At death, there is a loss of supporting biological functions, as a result of which the brain degenerates such that it cannot physically sustain thought, awareness and consciousness. The mind is locked within the brain and cannot either transfer or be transferred anywhere else. So that's the end of that.

#45     Nov 17, 2018
  6. volpri

volpri

Perhaps there is Realm beyond the physical/empirical? After all thoughts are not visible nor can they be sensed. I cannot know your thoughts. I can guess them by the look on your face but i cannot actually “see” ..”sense”..or “measure” them. But that does not mean that they do not exist.

#46     Nov 17, 2018
    Sprout likes this.
  7. tomorton

tomorton

What evidence is there of a realm beyond the physical/empirical (excepting somebody's faith that there is one)?

#47     Nov 17, 2018
  8. Sprout

Sprout

Shamanic studies,... Dolores Cannon, William Baldwin, Edith Flores,... near death experiences, the list goes on,...

Direct Experiences are distinct from faith.

Have you ever touched a dead body?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    #48     Nov 17, 2018
  9. Sprout

Sprout

Probably something better suited is normalizing death and the choice to die with dignity. Someone has a say in that and with folks living beyond enjoyable years, what's the point?

#49     Nov 17, 2018
  10. tomorton

tomorton

I have absolutely no idea what you're saying.

#50     Nov 17, 2018