Pop Up Ads

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by bungrider, May 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Today I was doing a little research on my computer, when (despite not having any Internet Explorer windows open) two shitty popup ads randomly appeared in the middle of my screen! These were the REALLY annoying ones - video, sound...:mad:

I have norton systemworks prof 2002 on my computer, with script blocking activated, but I'm very concerned about this problem. If someone can tell me how these ads are able to appear on my computer, and recommend software (stable and maybe even free, but pay is OK too) that will BLOCK these *&*^% things from appearing, that would be sweet. Thanks!

2. ddefina

ddefina

Zone alarm has banner blocking, but I think its only in the Pro version.

3. Splat

Splat

Symantec has a firewall product called Norton Internet Security
    that integrates into system works. It also has functionality
    to stop popups/banners although I dont use this particular
    functionality myself. I use the firewall.

Regards,

Splat

4. Rigel

Rigel

I've had a popup every morning for six days now when I boot up and open my home page (Elite)in the morning. It only happens once a day, the first time I use my browser. Maybe something I got from a link posted here. It looks like someone has put an automatic banner ad link on MY system which is a first. Real crummy thing to do IMO. Haven't been able to get rid of it either. One good thing, when I right-click the ad and "view source" it says that it will expire 6/14/02. Or maybe Baron is doing popups now?

5. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Scratch me off your suspect list, because Elite Trader doesn't do pop-ups.

6. noctavian

noctavian

Proximatron ( www.proxomitron.org ) and AdSubtract ( www.adsubtract.com ) are both good utilities that let you avoid pop ups and the like. Proximatron is freeware and Adsubtract is a shareware product based on Proximatrons code that is easier to setup.

7. rickty

rickty

rigel wrote:
    That's when the next in the series will be activated :)

Richard

8. TAfool

TAfool

What you have done is download and install a program that randomly opens these pop-ups. Usually it's done from one of those little scripts that Windows will ask if you want to run, but if you don't have the warning dialog turned on or accidentally clicked OK you may not have noticed it. Once run, you're up a creek.

What you need to do now is delete and unload this program that has been installed on your system. Depending on which operating system you have the details will be different and it also depends upon which program was installed. Some will put an uninstall in the Add/Remove Programs list. A search of all running programs or the startup groups should find it.

You can try LavaSoft's AdAware, Startup Cop, or even Microsoft's' own MSCONFIG.EXE to locate some of these gremlins.

Regards,
    TAfool

9. tuna

tuna

#10     May 18, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.