Poor Man's Hedge Fund

Discussion in 'Journals' started by riskarb, Oct 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sure, I imagine it looks great due to earning's season. Haven't booked profits for Nov yet. =)

#31     Oct 22, 2006
  2. ABN AMRO begins trading the DAX spot + exotics at 11:00 or midnight on Sunday. I'll more than likely trade the DAX at the open. I am limited to 10k euros per ticker, but I limit my trading on "marketindex" to DAX and Bund.

I am still modeling the dispersion trade, despite IV's plea to go short the D. =) As stated, I'll limit the comments to dispersion outliers and their effect on index cash direction and volty, if any. I'll be attempting to offset outliers at 1 sigmas [weekly] and reallocate with downside, atm gammas. I haven't sufficiently modeled it due to the difficulty of dealing with all the data. I had initally modeled 1.5 and 2 sigmas, but it's very difficult to hit those hedge points in this vol-environment.

#32     Oct 22, 2006
  3. Grant

Grant

Riskarb, momoneythansens and IV trader.

Gentlemen,

A cynic may suggest this forum is all about posturing. I would never suggest such a thing. To disprove the doubters, give them clarification on the following.

riskarb,

“There are some path-dependent pricing assumptions which I intend to abrogate through the discrete turnover of diametric-outliers on the long gamma component basket. I intend to show that it is possible to add significant alpha to a pure replication.”

“no vol-shading”.

momoneythansens,

“re-straddle components that have had outliers in opposite directions”.

IV trader,

“all ratios for NOV , best short dispersion conditions”.

Grant.

#33     Oct 22, 2006
  4. Quote from Grant:

Riskarb, momoneythansens and IV trader.

Gentlemen,

A cynic may suggest this forum is all about posturing. I would never suggest such a thing. To disprove the doubters, give them clarification on the following.

There are no cynics here... :p

riskarb,

“There are some path-dependent pricing assumptions which I intend to abrogate through the discrete turnover of diametric-outliers on the long gamma component basket. I intend to show that it is possible to add significant alpha to a pure replication.”

Mo translated the gibberish below

“no vol-shading”.

Raising/lowering the midpoint on the vol-market based upon the clients bid/offer to trade vol.

momoneythansens,

“re-straddle components that have had outliers in opposite directions”.

See above

IV trader,

“all ratios for NOV , best short dispersion conditions”.

Grant.

#34     Oct 22, 2006
  5. Grant

Grant

Riskarb,

So “path-dependent pricing assumptions…” are “re-straddle components that have (had) outliers in opposite directions”?

Got it.

Grant.

#35     Oct 22, 2006
  6. The premise centers on the probability of producing adequate #s of paired but opposing outlier component positions which may earn more on gamma than is lost to the premium paid on the vol-swap, component vol // index vol. Paired-opposing outlier positions will be offset and replaced with fresh atm gamma. Straddles will be used for index and component positions.

#36     Oct 22, 2006
  7. segv

segv

To be clear B, you are closing and reopening the component position ATM correct?

-segv

#37     Oct 22, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.