POLL: Would you rather??????????

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by midlifeguy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. maxpi

maxpi

No, no, no, no..... you're too old to get another job, the jerk you work for hates your religion and he has the perfect little tattler working right next to you, and they are a team... I had that situ, I stuck around until they fired me while I was learning the trade biz.. and currently 50k would be fine with wifey..

#11     Aug 16, 2007
  2. c--throw 500 cars at the ES for 1 point per day...you can hit search for a whole subject on this...

#12     Aug 16, 2007
  3. Either you've been blessed with an ideal work environment or you haven't gotten out much. And let's not limit the corporate choice with only backstabbing. You also have employers who choose to focus performance evaluation on intangibles such as "potential," and being "dynamic" in order that they can play favorites with plausible deniability, irrespective of quantifiably measurable relative performance. Then there are the surprisingly extended hours for which you do not get paid (after all, you are "salaried") but which you are led to believe are an investment in your career at the company. Implied promises of promotion just over the horizon are made to the many even though such opportunities narrow considerably as you inch forward up the hierarchy of the bureaucracy. Meanwhile, your boss's pet (they have mutual acquaintances or whatever) works fewer hours, has demonstrated less performance capability and capacity, and he zings right past you up the food chain. But you take comfort and commiserate with your fellow husks who were also led to believe that their time will come eventually if they just stay at it and keep their nose to the grindstone and perform. And so, the shared fantasy continues for the majority, and they continue to put in all those extra hours...

Yeah, it all a myth.

#13     Aug 16, 2007

4. Fucking A!:D

#14     Aug 16, 2007
  5. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

#15     Aug 16, 2007
  6. A.. theres no godamn way Im waking up.. commuting to an office full of people I dont care really care for being paid by a company who time watches me to be insulted by shenanigans, back stabbings... bogus sackings or even worse to be managed by a transparent fool who believes himself better than you and patronizes your contribution whilst reviewing your performance like a headmaster at School.. no way will I go back to that world without excersizing ownership or intense control and absolute flexibility...

Stay home build your own friends and life without fooling yourself your work colleagues are actually your friends...

PS rcanfel.. his posts almost everywhere are offensive and ridiculous... Im beginning o believe he is purposely here to stir debate and controversy amongst us...

#16     Aug 16, 2007
  7. RL8093

RL8093

I don't think it's about the $50k or the backstabbing. It's about the future & what you can make of it.

If you're making $100k in a job, love what you're doing and have unlimited potential for advancement - stay & go for it.

With 'A' - if you like the independent lifestyle and can consistently make $50k / yr, figure out what's keeping you from making $100k - $1mm or more. If you can consistently make a profit, then just up the # of contracts ... The only thing between a consistent $50k / yr and $1mm+ / yr is you ... :cool:

R

#17     Aug 16, 2007
  8. maxpi

maxpi

Work is nonprofit. That is what WIN stands for. I was taking anthropology at the local community college. The prof. mentioned that hunter gatherers work two hour days and have the rest of the time to "articulate their culture". I knew from my other reading that they also have better diets [well, it depends if they are savvy enough to cook things that pass parasites really, and droughts are particularly hard on their populations] than farmers or modern Americans do and they get plenty of exercise and many are really wonderfully happy. More than one anthropologist has married a gal in a tribe and disappeared off the edge of the world forever. Some wrote about it in terms that I could only attain to in an opiate induced dream.

I thought about that and promptly redoubled my efforts to learn to trade and automate same. I was jealous of hunter gatherers. I had a long commute, 9 hours on the frigging job, a longer commute to the community college so I could get education enough to break even against inflation, maybe not even that.... and barely time for dinner, which was not going to be all that nutritional anyhow. To top it all off, I'm more Amerind than anything and those square buildings.... I just never feel right in a square building. I'll wind up with a dome eventually..

Is it possible to express, really, the disdain one could have for a routine like that?? It might have been good for a few years to build character and understanding of organizations... after that YUUUUUCCCCHHHHH!!

#18     Aug 16, 2007
  9. How exactly will anthropology get you out of this rut?

#19     Aug 16, 2007
  10. I managed to save a trunk of old papers. I found an english paper I had written in 8th grade. Grade was a C, nothing special but it must have been a major project. The paper was a memoir. Basically it was looking into the future. I was dumbfounded. I could have written it yesterday (40 years later) because my life pretty much unfolded like the composition I wrote years ago. I read it to my wife without telling her when I wrote it. I said "Sound like me and the life I've lived?" "Yup".

Strange that maybe we are wired in our destiny at quite an early age.

#20     Aug 16, 2007