POLL: Would you like to see ES's tick size proportionate to that of SP?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Thunderdog, Feb 8, 2008.

POLL: Would you like to see ES's tick size proportionate to that of SP?

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    54.6%
  2. No

49 vote(s)
    45.4%
  1. I imagine that I'm fairly behind on the platform curve. I still use Patsystem's J-Trader for order entry. (I guess that would be DOM.) Minor league, remember? :)

Why do you ask?

#61     Feb 11, 2008
  2. J-T's a DOM. What I hate about volatile markets with small ticks is the way the market screams up and down through the DOM. This morning I was spread scalping NQ vs. YM and I was dizzy watching. :)

#62     Feb 11, 2008
  3. Perhaps you need a slower internet connection. Dial-up may be just the thing for you. :D

(I'll admit that much of this morning's NQ action would have made for a good Gravol commercial. Even so, I'll take NQ over ES any day.)

#63     Feb 11, 2008
  4. I need 6 more votes to make it 100. If you trade ES and have not yet voted in this poll, then please do so. Thanks.

#64     Feb 12, 2008
  5. volente_00

volente_00

whitser, ym moves, 40, es moves 5.25 on the same move, one offers 200 the other 262.50, spread is more than made up for you have to buy the low on the bid and sell the high on the ask to catch all 200, i have to buy ask and sell bid and i still make 37.5 more on the same move. The same can be found on the daily range as well dow went 420 to 640 so 220 x 5 = 1100 if u get filled at low and high. Es went appox 33 to 63 = 1500 potential. What size stop are you using on ym ?

#65     Feb 12, 2008
  6. lassic

lassic

while you are at, email cme and tell them that the big contract needs to trade at .10 and not a bastardized mimic of the ES

#66     Feb 12, 2008
  7. Well, the poll count has reached 100, such as it is. Thanks to all for participating. And as a final request, I once again urge the people who voted "Yes," all 51 of you, to write to the CME and tell them that you would like ES's tick size to be proportionate to the tick size of the full sized contract. Again, the e-mail address is:

info@cmegroup.com

51 e-mails may not count for much, but it's a start. A groundswell has to start somewhere. Tell your friends.

:)

#67     Feb 13, 2008
  8. volente_00

volente_00

#68     Feb 17, 2008
  9. wcicom

wcicom

Eventually, everything is done to help a small trader to stay in the Market. CME has to be very carefull when ballancing tick size for a popular contract like "ES". They want and need volume, at the same time, they can not afford for the contract to loose popularity with large players. The larger the tick size in any contract, the more advantage large players have. One of my friends was a large Q's options trader, and when they changed Q's options to one cent tick, he stopped trading them. The smaller the tick size, the less of an edge the pro has. I dont think we will see smaller tick size in "ES" anytime soon, but I would like to see it smaller, maybe not $0.05, but $0.10 would be nice, that is why I trade Russell mostly, when you have specific entry and exit points, smaller tick size helps a lot. I can not tell you how many fills I missed by a quarter in ES.

Good trading everyone.

#69     Mar 2, 2008