POLL: Who is Jesus to You?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by rcanfiel, Dec 14, 2007.

POLL: Who is Jesus to You?

1. He is a misquoted/misunderstood jewish rabbi

35 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. He could be the promised messiah, but I don't believe he was God

3 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. He is God/Creator and His sovereign grace is the singular means to my salvation

45 vote(s)
    30.6%
  4. He was a leader with a cause, like Ralph Nader or Jesse Jackson

4 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. He was possibly deranged, like Charles Manson or Jim Jones

7 vote(s)
    4.8%
  6. He was an influential teacher, similar to Gandhi

16 vote(s)
    10.9%
  7. He is a prophet of God, similar to Ezekiel or Mohammad

8 vote(s)
    5.4%
  8. Following his example & doing good works is the singular means to my salvation

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  9. He probably never existed

12 vote(s)
    8.2%
  10. Something else

15 vote(s)
    10.2%
  1. The world is real like it once was flat.
    The universe exists like the sun used to revolve around the earth.
    No one would appear here were it not for a horrendously limited view of themSelves.

"Man's experience is an optical delusion of his consciousness" - Einstein
    Here is some evidence whereof Einstein speaks:

Invisible Man

Obviously, beliefs have a significant effect on what humans can or cannot see.
    Likewise, beliefs have a significant effect on what a superconsciousness can or cannot see.

Depending on what a superconsciousness believes,
    Reality disappears from it's sight, and the world takes it's place.

Depending on what a human believes,
    The world disappears from it's sight,
    and Reality reappears where it always was.

You are free to believe Paul if you like.
    Just as Paul was free to believe what he liked.
    What he believed determined what he was able to see.
    You see through his beliefs.

What makes you think Paul could see anything?
    He was taught by Gamaliel...a Pharisee.
    He gave you Christianity as you know it.
    He has more ink in the NT than I do.
    He is virtually your leader.
    He drives, while I ride shotgun.

Yet he died.
    What's up with that?

Jesus

#241     Jan 19, 2008
  2. Quote from I am...:

He has more ink in the NT than I do.

That is true. You wrote none of it, and he wrote a lot of t.

The 3 words written on my board please, self-deceived impostor?

#242     Jan 19, 2008
  3. Yes, that's correct.
    I didn't write any of the NT.
    Hmmm...

Jesus

#243     Jan 20, 2008
  4. When you got onboard with your current theological group,
    did you require of them anything of this sort?
    What was your basis of decision?
    Were you just predestined to do so?

#244     Jan 20, 2008
  5. It is funny that all disciples (except Judas and John) were martyred. After following around for a few years, it would seem that at least a few of them would say "Hoax, Hoax" before being executed...

Yet somehow, an unschooled carpenter become far and away the most influential man in history. The Christian view of Jesus is already known. But to other major religions:

Islam
    --"Muslims believe that Jesus, son of Mary, was a noble and honorable prophet of God. Learn more about the life and teachings of Jesus, according to the Muslim faith."
    --Muslims believe Mary, Maria in Spanish, or Maryam as she is called in Arabic, was a chaste, virgin woman, who miraculously gave birth to Jesus. "Relate in the Book the story of Mary, when she withdrew from her family, to a place in the East. She screened herself from them; then We sent to her Our spirit (angel Gabriel) and he appeared before her as a man in all respects. She said: I seek refuge from you in God Most Gracious (come not near) if you do fear God. He said: Nay, I am only a Messenger from your Lord, to announce to you the gift of a pure son. She said: How shall I have a son, when no man has ever touched me, and I am not unchaste? He said: So it will be, your Lord says: ‘That is easy for Me; and We wish to appoint him as a sign unto men and a Mercy from Us': It was a matter so decreed" (Quran 19:16-21).

Buddhism
    --As a whole, Buddhism has little directly to say about Jesus Christ. It does acknowledge what most men do: that He was a great person. For the most part, however, His Gospel teachings are largely ignored and a more convenient Jesus is accepted: one who, along with the Buddha, smiles serenely.

-- It has been suggested that within Mahayana Buddhism the legendary Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara developed out of Jesus having been in Tibet and India. For one reason, this bodhisattva is thought to have reached his earliest known (legendary) form around the second or third century C.E., which timing is appropriate for the hypothesis. For another reason, the book by Professor John Holt of Bowdoin College, Brunswick, Maine, suggests that the origins of the Avalokitesvara cult was in northwest India in the second century. Although Avalokitesvara is mentioned in the Buddhist writing called the Heart Sutra, that writing, according to Holt (personal communication), is a "prajnaparamita" text that probably dates to either the 1st or 2nd century CE and is therefore somewhat later than the more likely origins of Avalokitesvara. The name itself, however, may stem from "avalokana," an abstracted mythologization of the compassionate view of the world that the Buddha takes just after his enlightenment experience.
    For still another reason, given the impact that Jesus made in just a couple years of ministry in Palestine, due in no small measure to his ability to work miracles and prophesy, it would not be surprising that his further ministry during many post-crucifixion years of traveling outside of Palestine under different names would also have received acclaim, at least within oral tradition. The Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara is a candidate for this because he became the top one or two of all the numerous bodhisattvas in importance and degree of respect and worship accorded. Within Buddhist thought, the successive Dalai Lamas are believed to be reincarnations of Avalokitesvara. However, the primary reason is that he is sometimes portrayed with a small circular marking on the hand, which could represent a crucifixion scar. A similar marking, usually interpreted as the Buddhist wheel of life, is mentioned in a third-century writing to be imprinted upon the soles of his feet. The mythologization of Avalokitesvara became so extensive that he has even been considered the creator of the world. This is surprisingly similar to Jesus being professed as part of the Godhead who was with God the Creator from the beginning. If both creation strories are considered to be myths, however, it is not surprising that the same man could have inspired both. If Avalokitesvara should indeed be another name for Jesus, it is an example of a legend as yet known to only a few. But if it was known to be more than just a legend to some Buddhists at the time the name Avalokitesvara was bestowed, it is understandable that they would not wish to antagonize Christians by insisting Buddhism call him by the same name that Christianity uses. Kersten has advanced the idea that the name Yuz Asaf may actually have a Buddhist derivation. If Jesus had called himself a knower of truth, or others had recognized this, then in Sanskrit this phrase would be "bodhi sattva," or "budasaf" essentially, Kersten suggests. He pointed out that in Syrian, Arabic and Persian, "Budasaf" would read like "Judasaf" or "Yudasaf," since their letters J and B are nearly identical. The latter two words are sufficiently similar, then, that this could be the real etymology behind "Yuz Asaf." The tradition that Jesus, under whatever name, had been to the Kashmir region in years after the crucifixion is known to some of the lamas. In 1922 Swami Abhedananda, a well known monk and disciple of Sri Ramakrishna of the Barahanagar Temple, near Calcutta, learned of this from a lama at Himis monastery, Ladakh.

Hinduism
    Jesus within Hinduism. The Hindu literature known as the Bhavishya Maha Purana contains some ten verses indicating that Jesus was in India/Kashmir during the reign of King Shalivahan, which has been placed within 39 to 50 C.E. The king is said to have encountered Jesus at a spot about 10 miles northeast of Srinagar where there is a sulfur spring. During the king's inquiries of who he was, Jesus is reported to have replied that he was Yusashaphat (interpreted as Yuz Asaf by K. N. Ahmad), and that he had become known as Isa Masih (Jesus the Messiah). K. N. Ahmad dates the writing of these verses to 115 C.E. Although details of the verses may indicate that they received later editing, their basic theme -- that Christianity's Jesus had been there in Kashmir -- persists. Much more recent is a statement by Jawarhar Nehru in a 1932 letter to his daughter, Indira, where he wrote, "All over Central Asia, in Kashmir and Ladakh and Tibet and even farther north, there is a strong belief that Jesus or Isa travelled about there. Some people believed that he visited India also." This testifies to the persistence of the oral tradition.

#245     Jan 29, 2008
  6. Just an ordinary man

#246     Feb 1, 2008
    #247     Feb 3, 2008
  8. the greatet marketing tool ever invented. selling jesus has got to be the most lucrative business ever devised by man and its all tax free.

#248     Feb 3, 2008
  9. Many are saying what I do.
    Few are doing what I say.

Jesus

#249     Feb 3, 2008
    murray t turtle likes this.
  10. easymon1

easymon1