POLL: Who is Jesus to You?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by rcanfiel, Dec 14, 2007.

POLL: Who is Jesus to You?

1. He is a misquoted/misunderstood jewish rabbi

35 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. He could be the promised messiah, but I don't believe he was God

3 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. He is God/Creator and His sovereign grace is the singular means to my salvation

45 vote(s)
    30.6%
  4. He was a leader with a cause, like Ralph Nader or Jesse Jackson

4 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. He was possibly deranged, like Charles Manson or Jim Jones

7 vote(s)
    4.8%
  6. He was an influential teacher, similar to Gandhi

16 vote(s)
    10.9%
  7. He is a prophet of God, similar to Ezekiel or Mohammad

8 vote(s)
    5.4%
  8. Following his example & doing good works is the singular means to my salvation

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  9. He probably never existed

12 vote(s)
    8.2%
  10. Something else

15 vote(s)
    10.2%
  1. You're all over the place here. I'll deal with the history part of “who do I think wrote it”.
    Why, the victors of course.

PS; this was in reply to rcanfiel.

#11     Dec 14, 2007
  2. As the story of Jesus predates the KJ version of Jesus by some thousands of years, is it any wonder some people might believe some plagiarism had a heavy hand with the newer version?

#12     Dec 14, 2007
  3. It's a simple fact that a great many widely acclaimed biblical historians aren't Christian. While many seek to prove the validity of biblical texts, others try to disprove the stated occurrences. In both cases they almost unanimously agree that the man called Jesus of Nazareth did in fact exist.

#13     Dec 14, 2007
  4. I don't blame anyone for being skeptical. As I've made abundantly clear here, I don't accept 100% of what others here claim about Jesus either, but that doesn't change the fact that he existed.

Christians would respond to your above statement by saying, of course the story of Jesus predates his birth by thousands of years. He was the one promised to come for many generations. But we aren't talking about the different versions of Jesus here. We are talking about the historical existence of a man named Jesus of Nazareth.

#14     Dec 14, 2007
  5. Does that mean a man, any man born at that time with the name Jesus of Nazareth? Or a special man who was of the same name but the product of a virgin birth?

If the first, I'll concede. Most likely its true.

If the second, It can only be a plagiarized “fictional”story from a non jewish source.

BTW, did you see my “PS” on one of my previous replies?

#15     Dec 14, 2007
  6. The victors? Well, Rome fell, Judaism numbers less than 20 million, and surprise surprise, we see. Obviously, Jesus seemed to have had a little more impact than you did:

Christianity: 2.1 billion

Islam: 1.5 billion

Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion

Hinduism: 900 million

Chinese traditional religion: 394 million

Buddhism: 376 million

primal-indigenous: 300 million

African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million

Sikhism: 23 million

Juche: 19 million

Spiritism: 15 million

Judaism: 14 million

Baha'i: 7 million

Jainism: 4.2 million

Shinto: 4 million

#16     Dec 14, 2007
  7. No, I didn't see the P.S. until I'd responded already.

Anyway, I'm not referring to any man born during that time, but I'm not implying a virgin birth either. I'm saying a specific man called Jesus of Nazareth who's life resulted in what we now call Christianity. Whether he was the product of a virgin birth isn't the topic of this thread. It seems to me that this thread is focussed only on other's opinions as to who that particular man actually was. The idea of his existence is so well confirmed as to almost be undeniable.

#17     Dec 14, 2007
  8. seems like there are a few thousand existing fragments and copies of the New Testament in greek from the first and second century AD.

Why do you like to look like an uneducated ape? Nothing you said so far is anything other than sheer unsupported fantasies.

Unless you would like to start naming sources.

#18     Dec 14, 2007
  9. My dog ate them. jk

They disappeared as I rose up into the air on that day they call the "ascension".

I did not take them with me.

They disappeared, just as this entire universe will eventually disappear.

Why is that?

Because a body exists purely on faith. And so does this world.

Made and maintained by faith, if you withdraw faith from the body - poof!- it disappears at will.

Eventually, all faith will be withdrawn from this universe, when it is seen for the fiction that it is.

Entirely fiction, my existence in it is not more real than the fiction itself.

My role in the fiction points to the truth.

Bodies are 100% mind-generated fictions held solid by pure, USDA Grade A...faith.

I did not believe in my own supposed body. And everything I did was to release myself from it's imprisonment.

So now it is gone, and good riddance. From nothing it came, to nothing it returned.

Jesus

#19     Dec 14, 2007
  10. Quote from chuck.ells:

If the second, It can only be a plagiarized “fictional”story from a non jewish source.

Great, I am awaiting your widely acccepted bibliographies of articles accepted by other's than the burping brothers of Joe's Bar&Beerbellies

#20     Dec 14, 2007