Poll: Which of these 2 methods do Daytraders use

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by TRADERCJ, Nov 10, 2006.

How do you daytrade?

1. Buy/short same stock(s) day after day

18 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Do a new scan for stocks everyday

24 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. TRADERCJ

TRADERCJ

Do daytraders perfer to trade 1 or a couple stocks day after day. Or do you do a scan for new stocks every day?

I personally do new scans everyday, but lately I have been buying and shorting 1 stock over and over again the last couple of days and it has been working really well.

2. Right now I buy/sell premarket gaps on stocks with small gaps around 6% because my statistics tell me that these have the most tradable trends. This gives me a small edge so I need a better strategy.

I am curious. What stock can you trade day after day?

3. I trade a few stocks day in and day out.

4. TRADERCJ

TRADERCJ

The last couple of days I have been buying/shorting RIMM. It has been nerve racking, but I made money.

Those of you that trade the same stock day after day, do you perfer a stock like RIMM that moves alot intraday (high ATR) , or do you perfer a stock with a decent ATR but moves more slowly.

5. Trading RIMM intraday: good idea if you've got discipline.
    Rationale: VIX (volatility proxy) is near 10 year lows.
    Another idea in this environment: Russell 2000 e-mini futures. I was watching them on Friday, and there is good opportunity here compared to the dead S&P e-mini.

6. andread

andread

Steve, can you explain what "a few" means? I assume you have a pool of stocks you chose for some reason and you know well, and you pick some to trade every day.
    If you are not trading on fundamentals I assume this pool can be fairly large

7. sorry for the off topic but does anyone have any idea were i can find a vix chart goin' back as much as possible? only ones i can find are from 1995 or so....was wonderin' if there are charts that go back at least 50yrs.

tia

8. considering there was no such thing as the VIX 50 yrs ago - probably not

9. Why not just roll your own -- get S&P data starting back in the Fifties and calculate a moving standard deviation for them.

10. that's painful, how do u chart it...am not a graph-geek neither a math-nerd....and above all...where do i find the time!

#10     Nov 11, 2006