POLL - What's your average YM Stop?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by shortorlong, Mar 23, 2008.

What is your average YM Stop?

1. 0-10

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. 10-25

21 vote(s)
    53.8%
  3. 25-50

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. 50-75

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. 75-100

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  6. 100-150

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 150+

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. I think this might be an interesting poll. I wonder, what is your average YM stop, looking specifically at the last 4 weeks or so.. I'm curious to see what kind of leeway different traders are allowing themselves.

If you can respond to the poll and also make a post, then your post could include:

1 - average ym stop #

2 - average ym target #

3 - description of why you think your stop + target are appropriate for your method

Let's see how this goes..

2. 1 - average ym stop #

I average about 20 average stop from the get-go but will often slide it in to 15 or so if the trade isnt working how i'd like.

2 - average ym target #

I take profits quickly (if at all, heh) @ 8-10 pts

3 - description of why you think your stop + target are appropriate for your method

I'm still a right noob at this, but for what it's worth, my stop is fairly small because once I start with realmoney in a couple weeks I can not afford large losses. Especially as a new trader I want to be able to manage my losses while I am still working out twinks with strategy and psychology. I expect I'll make my stop larger / more lenient later once my account shows some gains.

3. With tight stops you'll have to tick scalp on momentum or on reversals. The YM has quite a bit of back-fill.

4. whats a stop...LOL

Average he cried

5. My average stop is typically 50-75 points. I go for the daily trend, so I need leeway for the large whipsaws of the current volatility environment. Typically my target is 90-120 points. That said, everything changes as volatility drops.

When $vix,$vxo,$vxn are at the lower range of the past few months, my stops become 15-30 points, with my target 50-75 points.

Obviously there isn't a trend everyday. If I see the first hour developing a range with low volume, I will scalp much smaller point ranges. Stops of 20 points, target 10-20.

6. Always depends on the volume of the day but avg about 27

Target 10 then trial until stopped out

Question #3, see response #1

7. the better question is...how many YM contracts do you trade 'all in' and 'all out' per trade...2,3,5,6,10???

8. This poll illustrates, once again at ET, that many traders do not ask the right questions.

9. Is that a good question? It seems that different people at different stages in their trading experience would trade different size. Different capital, etc. I'm not sure raw # of contracts speaks to technique/method.

10. I would have liked to vote is this poll, but unfortunately the correct answer is not a choice.

The correct answer is it depends.

What does it depend upon?

It depends upon market analysis.

Market analysis will answer any and all questions.

Specifically, when to;

1. enter

2. hold or reverse

3. add to or subtract from

4. exit

#10     Mar 25, 2008