POLL: What is your uncle point?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by candletrader, May 8, 2002.

1. Dearest Brethren,

It would be interesting to gain a feel for how much we are willing to lose on a given trade...

Please vote in accordance with your average uncle point...

Candle

2. Is this per 100 shares?

3. Bono

Bono

It would have been better to put it percentage perms, like :
    a) 10%
    b) 20%
    c) 40%
    d) 80%
    and e) 100% :)

4. Its an absolute dollar amount...

5. Rigel

Rigel

Lately it's been about 2 cents before the direction changes. Uncle!.....Pause.....Oh s#!t.

6. ROFL! ... tell me about it! :D

7. I hazard a guess that those voting for category 6 are swing traders with longer trade horizons...

8. I've been watching this thread as it is related to my stoploss thread last week.
    I am surprised to see flat dollar amounts as the only catagories when most money management systems I've seen and use follow a % system. Risk vs. reward presets and a maximum loss % of total account bankroll to decide maximum position size.

Am I missing something here or were you trying to guage the multi-day traders vs. daytraders by using a flat dollar amount.
    Or further still the percentage of large account holders here vs. smaller size accounts.
    Seems to me you guys with million dollar accounts will laugh off $500.00 (to a point) compared to say a $35,000 account holder.

Just wondering if I have missed a money management theory somewhere after reading this thread.

9. pitufo

pitufo

I try to keep my losses to two or three cents, not always possible though, if I am lossing that much then I get out right away, usually I try to get out as soon as it didn't go my way within a few seconds, thus trying to scratch. If I trade 4000 maximum position then 3 cents would only be $120.

10. I know what you are saying... in accordance with money management principles, risk as a % of equity should remain constant and $ risk should be a variable... but I am one of those kids who risks the same $ amount whatever size my account has grown to (i.e. % risk of equity declines over time)... what I try and keep constant is my share size... its a comfort level thing and I think many traders do the same thing

#10     May 8, 2002