POLL: What is your Stop Loss Strategy?

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by rcanfiel, Oct 2, 2007.

What is your primary Stop Loss Strategy?

1. Trailing stops - usually same size

8 vote(s)
    5.2%
  2. Trailing stops - variable, based on something like ATR

20 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. Fixed stop - usually same size

15 vote(s)
    9.7%
  4. Fixed stops - variable, based on something like ATR

15 vote(s)
    9.7%
  5. As part of scaling in/out

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  6. Mental stop

25 vote(s)
    16.1%
  7. Stop based on % of equity

10 vote(s)
    6.5%
  8. Disaster Stop only

18 vote(s)
    11.6%
  9. I don't use stops

35 vote(s)
    22.6%
  10. Time stop, Get out if not profitable after x minutes or right away

8 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. Aisone

Aisone

When I'm bailing, yes, my confidence in the position has been crushed, or atleast my confidence on not losing more than I should is crushed. ;)

Hopefully most of the time my original timing is qualified and justifies a position as well as increasing it if necessary. (usually it is or I wouldn't survive imo.)

So when the market is going against me, its up to analytics to determine whether its an increasingly greater opportunity or not (which it should based on my system).

However if I don't think it is, or I'm feeling weak and chicken out like a sissy (its not all a science :p), I won't pyramid the position for gains, but only scale conservatively in a linear fashion to try to recover loses.

More power to people that can make a good living without scaling. Without it tho, they'll miss opportunities to increase a good position at a cut-rate cost.

#21     Oct 16, 2007
  2. Would those be the same analytics that got you into the trade that's going against you?

#22     Oct 16, 2007
  3. MGJ

MGJ

Some technical trading systems use indicators (rather than prices) to determine when it's time to exit. For example,
    Code:
    Enter long if (RSI(14)[yesterday] < 20) AND
    (RSI(14)[today] > 20) AND
    (ADX(14)[today] > ADX(14)[yesterday])

Exit long if (ADX(14)[today] < ADX(14)[yesterday])
    Systems like this one don't have exit prices so they can't place "stop" orders. Further, since ADX calculations use the High and the Low and the Close, you can't deploy the Excel Solver to find a price that will make ADX decrease, so you can't "reverse engineer" an exit price and call it a "stop".

#23     Oct 16, 2007
  4. Aisone

Aisone

I don't understand your point, are you being a smartass?

#24     Oct 16, 2007
  5. Not intentionally. I'm just trying to follow your string of logic.

#25     Oct 16, 2007
  6. Aisone

Aisone

Ain't that special. ;)

#26     Oct 16, 2007
  7. were is " when i start to cry i know i have finally had enough pain and and take the HUGE LOSS "

toothless worthless jake

#27     Oct 16, 2007
  8. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

forgot one which i use stop and reverse. always in the market long or short.

#28     Oct 16, 2007
  9. I've been using fixed stops with bond futures and the problem I've been running into is that my stops tend to be too tight in a volatile market but ok in a tame market. Was thinking of setting stops based on a running standard deviation (think Bollinger bands) so they would be wider during periods of greater volatility. Any ideas from the great minds here?

#29     Oct 17, 2007
  10. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

well since they wont recognize the stop and reverse as a stop method i had to vote i dont use stops. :mad:

#30     Oct 20, 2007