POLL: What is your religious faith?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by rcanfiel, Oct 31, 2007.

POLL: Which best describes your religious faith?

1. Buddhist

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. Catholic Christian

10 vote(s)
    14.5%
  3. Muslim

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  4. Hindu

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  5. Atheist / Secular / Agnostic

29 vote(s)
    42.0%
  6. Orthodox Christian

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  7. Something Else

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  8. Jewish

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  9. Biblical/Evangelic Christian

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  10. Protestant Christian

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  1. Turok

Turok

The way it's set up now (assuming it was set up), there are plenty of "laws" in place that arguably limit free will -- gravity for instance. I still find plenty of "free will" options while obeying the law of gravity.

I don't see how a scientifically proven god would imply a requirement that I would automatically respect what he stands for or be unable to exercise my free will and reject his beliefs and requirements.

In fact, if the god that is represented by most of the judeo-christian world was to choose to communicate with me, I would ask him/her if he actually IS the god represented by these communities and by the bible. If he were to answer "yes", I would walk away and never look back -- without a care of the consequences.

It's possible to believe in a god without a doubt and still not respect and follow him.

JB
    (agnostic with atheist leanings)

#21     Oct 31, 2007
  2. The laws of nature are not negotiable and therefore not pertinent to our choosing (free will). Our free will is applied to whatever it is we're given to work with/around - including a world of natural laws.

If you knew with absolute certainty of the existence of an all-powerful God who wanted you to do his will on pain of perpetual agony... Come on.. you wouldn't do exactly as you were told?

#22     Oct 31, 2007
  3. bluud

bluud

you implied it by the reason you replied not your reply itself

and where did I state a specific act is impossible or possible for God to perform?

#23     Oct 31, 2007
  4. Turok

Turok

bluud:
    >you implied it by the reason you replied not
    >your reply itself

Me thinks you've been drinking.

>and where did I state a specific act is
    >impossible or possible for God to perform?

You (a few posts ago):
    >you can not prove God scientifically, that is to
    >say through scientific methods accepted and
    >agreed upon by scientists.

You said it 'can't be done' thus impossible.

I find no reason whatsoever to say it can't be done.

JB

#24     Oct 31, 2007
  5. Turok

Turok

H:
    >The laws of nature are not negotiable and
    >therefore not pertinent to our choosing (free will).

With your concession that the scientifically validated law of gravity impinges not on free will, why believe that any other scientifically validated law/entity would be different?

>Our free will is applied to whatever it is we're given
    >to work with/around - including a world of natural laws.

... or a proven god.

>If you knew with absolute certainty of the
    >existence of an all-powerful God who wanted
    >you to do his will on pain of perpetual agony...
    >Come on.. you wouldn't do exactly as you were told?

If the all-powerfull god that revealed himself believed in "do as I say or I'll burn you in hell", -- he's an ASS that doesn't deserve the respect I give my dog (meaning, "no").

You see, I have this thing called "free will" and I actually believe in exercising it. :)

JB

#25     Oct 31, 2007
  6. "To me, one of the best ways to become a free thinker is to first, put aside our own EXTREMELY limited viewpoints (we are right and they are wrong) and consider all possibilities, objectively. Second, realize that even the wisest person who ever lived still knew very little in the grand scheme of things."

I spent the first 50 years of my life as a bible believing baptist. I think i have considered the possibility of your belief.

#26     Oct 31, 2007
  7. As limited the evidence is for some scientific possibilities it still trumps biblical evidence where there is 0 evidence that it ever happened.

#27     Oct 31, 2007
  8. I see your point but why are you so negative? It seems you don't even believe in yourself and are angry towards anyone who does believe in 'something'. I believe the world would be a far worse place if everyone acted like you do. Did they treat you that badly?

Ursa..

#28     Oct 31, 2007
    #29     Oct 31, 2007
    #30     Nov 1, 2007