POLL: What is your religious faith?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by rcanfiel, Oct 31, 2007.

POLL: Which best describes your religious faith?

1. Buddhist

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. Catholic Christian

10 vote(s)
    14.5%
  3. Muslim

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  4. Hindu

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  5. Atheist / Secular / Agnostic

29 vote(s)
    42.0%
  6. Orthodox Christian

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  7. Something Else

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  8. Jewish

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  9. Biblical/Evangelic Christian

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  10. Protestant Christian

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  1. POLL: What is your religious faith?

(Given the high % of ETers from the USA, the Christian one is more categorized)

2. Free thinker. All religions are born out of the superstitious ignorance of primitive man.

3. Is it possible to be a free thinker and believe the world was created?

4. I think what vhehn meant to say was "how to make sweeping statements you can never substantiate and label yourself therefore as a free thinker." It is impossible to prove or disprove God. But some religious people and some secular people think they are automatically right just because they think or say so.

To me, one of the best ways to become a free thinker is to first, put aside our own EXTREMELY limited viewpoints (we are right and they are wrong) and consider all possibilities, objectively. Second, realize that even the wisest person who ever lived still knew very little in the grand scheme of things.

a Zen saying (pluralized); "Every man is our teacher, in that we can learn something from him."

5. Turok

Turok

rc:
    >It is impossible to prove or disprove God.

Certainly understand how it is impossible to "disprove" god, but I don't get how proving him need be impossible.

I can think of a myriad of ways that god could be "proven" to my satisfaction.

JB

6. bluud

bluud

you can not prove God scientifically, that is to say through scientific methods accepted and agreed upon by scientists.

Well doesn't that sound like a joke. Who in the fucking world gives himself the right to tell a person that he has to think in logical patterns or that he can't be irrational. I don't believe in shit, who is to say evolution is more true than creationism or vise versa. Fuck it all, all of them are a joke to me, God is worthless and when he took a dump man came to be, that is pretty much it for me. And it can change tomorrow, I don't find anything that holds me from changing my words constantly. People can dress in different cloths, they can be a POPE or a guy with PHD, they remain the same shit through out their life until they are put into their grave with all their hopes and desires and dreams and psychological problems they came to suffer. Why should I believe these stupid pathetic people, how are they any better than me.

7. No i dont think so. To be a free thinker means being free to believe only what the evidence points to. To believe the world was created as the bible myth suggests indicates that you believe inspite of the evidence and therefore are not thinking freely.

8. I'm suggesting that true 'free thinking' can result in any belief.

9. What evidence? You want to find evidence about God, and science has still not solved many of the basic problems, like energy, famine, droughts, rising seas, nuclear proliferation, how life arose, creating complex life forms from scratch, why they think space is 11-dimensional, understanding human thought, and a hundred thousand other things? Science is still in diapers, and is not something that is in a position to define whether or not there is a creator. We can use the concept of "science myth" as readily as "bible myth"

Again, you mistake "free thought" with ignorance.

10. Quote from vhehn:[/i]

No i dont think so. To be a free thinker means being free to believe only what the evidence points to.

OK. But what constitutes 'evidence'? Some folks might consider the wonder and beauty of the universe in toto as evidence that it's unlikely that it's all just a fluke.

To believe the world was created as the bible myth suggests indicates that you believe inspite of the evidence and therefore are not thinking freely.

What if you started from a neutral position and came, by way of a trail of logic, to the conclusion that the bible myth was valid - as metaphor, for instance?

#10     Oct 31, 2007