POLL: What is the World's Most Evil Religion?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by candletrader, Nov 29, 2003.

1. all religious people need to see a psychiatrist.

#61     Dec 2, 2003
  2. traditional religious people scoff at those raelians, yet the raelian's ideas are more believable!! so pathetic religious people are... :(

#62     Dec 2, 2003

3. bung,

you make some valid points, however it is my contention that judeo-christian ethics and beliefs are the reason for the success of the west and the advancement of science. i don't have time currently to explain why, but will in the future.

best to you,

surfer:)

#63     Dec 2, 2003
  4. #64     Dec 2, 2003
  5. #65     Dec 2, 2003
  6. if christ existed, he was just some idiot. same goes for this mohammed character.

you all are basically worshipping some dead osama bin laden type human being.

in the words of LongShot:

#66     Dec 2, 2003
  7. Cutten

Cutten

I don't see how that follows. Actions infringe rights - historical words and teachings do not. The *practise* of religion would be evil if that practise infringed rights (e.g. stoning rape victims, human sacrifice, burning witches at the stake, conquest of heathen societies etc). However, most Muslims do not go round trying to kill infidels, quoting the Koran as justification. Since the majority of Muslims live peacably and get along fine with others, it would be misleading to characterise the religion (as practised by the majority of its followers) as evil.

Your view would have us describe current Christianity and Judaism as evil, because of exhortations in the Old Testament towards violence and oppression. This ignores the huge gulf between written religious theory from the past, and the actual deeds of the vast majority religious practitioners today.

#67     Dec 2, 2003

8. Dt-waw, whilst that may be the case for a lot of religious folks, it certainly wasn't the case for me. Go check out my earliest posts on ET about what I had to say about religion, Christianity in particular.

Why is it so hard for some of you to grasp that a person (me, for example) might have very good reasons for taking a theistic view of life, that have nothing to do with pyschology (or at least nothing to do with it in the sense that you guys mean it)?

It's one thing to believe there's not good enough reasons for subsrcibing to theism, or that there's good reason to believe theism isn't true, but why do you have to make out as though every theist is a fucking moron?

Maybe if axeman and Gekko could just step forward and admit they have an equally high pyschological investment in their atheism as they accuse theists of having? As it has been shown time and again that it is not possible to even mention anything that has a religious context to it without these court jesters interrupting -- totally off topic -- with their worn out rubbish.

#68     Dec 2, 2003
  9. i'll admit right now, yes i do--possibly even stronger. the difference is, my beliefs aren't obvious crap.:eek:

#69     Dec 2, 2003

10. i don't think jesus was that bad!!

be good.

ps
    you're an ass for quoting yourself.

#70     Dec 2, 2003