POLL: What Got You Into Trading?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by rcanfiel, Feb 4, 2008.

POLL: What Got You Into Trading?

1. Article in a General magazine, newspaper, or internet

7 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. Cramer, CNBC, or other TV financial show

5 vote(s)
    4.2%
  3. Stock/Futures/Trading book (like Kiyosaki or Schwager)

8 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Ken Roberts

6 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. Worked in financial industry, so started trading for myself

9 vote(s)
    7.6%
  6. Something Else (please list below)

9 vote(s)
    7.6%
  7. A friend or family member

18 vote(s)
    15.1%
  8. Was stock/funds investor, then migrated to trader

18 vote(s)
    15.1%
  9. A broker

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Someone on ET (Oscar, Hershey, etc.)

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  11. TV/radio advertisement or Infomercial

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  12. Hotel seminar - WizeTrade, Trump U, Investools, Better Trades, TMTT, etc.

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  13. Email/postal/banner advertisement

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  14. Just wandered in

28 vote(s)
    23.5%
  15. Money, WSJ, FT or other financial publication

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. What got me into trading? Incompetence. Broker incompetence. I thought "hell" why let him have all the fun of losing my money. It got to the point that I didn't need his help, I can lose by myself (he was faster) and save some time and money.
    :D

#11     Feb 4, 2008
  2. hmm... yeah what's the fun in having some broker piss away your money... if you're gonna throw money at the market might as well have a good time doing it ;)

ohh, and I got into trading when I was hired to prop trade at the first SwiftTrade office that openned here in CR.

#12     Feb 4, 2008
  3. A customer of mine got the E-mini bug and went full bore with the 5 screen set up in his office. He had this wicked indicator that was like an ebb and flow, buy sell pressure. Once he got it set up and started trading, he let me come by and check out his new set up. He had made 2 bad trades prior to me getting there and had stopped for the day. I was mesmerized by the charts and after 10 min, asked if I could call a trade or two. He let me pull the trigger on two trades, I made $500.00 in 10 min and was hooked.
    He didn't share my win and stopped trading after a couple months, but now I have my own set up and trade ZN and ZF.

#13     Feb 5, 2008
  4. JBTrade

JBTrade

One day, out of the blue, I just made the decision to master the stock market. That’s it. I’m still not exactly sure why. It was all totally new to me; I had absolutely no trading or investment knowledge at the time, I didn’t work in a field even remotely related to anything economic, and I didn’t know any traders. If I were religious, I would compare it to a message from god, but I’m not… it just came to me, I honestly don’t know.

#14     Feb 5, 2008
  5. bathrobe

bathrobe

I had sold my company and did not have a clue what to do next. My Mom handed me an article about executive salaries on WS looked into it liked the idea of trading more, started an uber-compulsive need to learn as much as I could (I have a true love for this business) the rest is history, Thanks Mom

#15     Feb 5, 2008
  6. subban

subban

The satisfication of working for yourself and nobody else. Also money is a big part of it.

#16     Feb 5, 2008
  7. H*Pi

H*Pi

My abrupt departure from hand-modeling.

#17     Feb 5, 2008
  8. *Sigh*

(At least try to get the math right.)

#18     Feb 5, 2008
  9. I used to burn money in my fireplace, but it would only burn so fast. After trying many different accelerants, (gasoline, kerosene, H2O2), I stumbed upon EliteTrader. Here I discovered how to burn $1,300.00 in a matter of minutes with no messy ashes or residue to clean up.

#19     Feb 5, 2008
  10. I hear the French have developed new methods for disposing of billions in the market without any problematic side effects.

#20     Feb 6, 2008