POLL: The death of daytrading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by americanhero, Feb 5, 2012.

Is daytrading dead for the retail trader?

1. Yes, it's dead as a dodo

24 vote(s)
    24.2%
  2. No, it's alive and kickin'

75 vote(s)
    75.8%
  1. trading never been easier,

i tell u my secret.

fade nitro.

make millions.

#21     Feb 5, 2012
  2. #22     Feb 5, 2012
  3. I don't see why one would want a computer to 'think' like a human. If the computer thinks it would be implying a 'belief' about what would happen. If thinking isn't necessary, but often times just gets in the way...it's not beneficial to the computer.

I doubt very few discretionary traders take the time to validate their discretionary calls. A computer can do this quickly and easily. When developing algorithms, one can create an enormous amount of conditions to test to see what works out the best. A discretionary trader just doesn't have the ability or the time.

Algorithmic trading and discretionary trading are worlds apart. Algorithms can be created to adapt to changing market conditions much quicker than most discretionary traders.

#23     Feb 5, 2012
  4. Bob111

Bob111

i'm pretty sure that there is a decline of activity here,on ET too. correlated with with decline in retail trading.:)

#24     Feb 5, 2012
  5. I have heard daytrading is over since I started over ten years ago. Last 6 months of 2011 was a great daytrading environment. 2012 so far has been horrible. Every year, there are few months that realy suck for daytrading and then some great months. Everything else is just average. Having said that, daytrading remains a young man's game.

#25     Feb 5, 2012
  6. Bob111

Bob111

i've been saying this for years. stock charts doesn't look same as they are 3-5-7 years ago. specially visible on stocks with 50000-500000 shares average volume. they not consistent any more. just random moves with plenty of time periods with no trades at all. open any 5 min chart for 200-300K average volume and see it yourself.

#26     Feb 5, 2012
  7. Strange. I would argue the opposite. 2012 has been great so far.

#27     Feb 5, 2012
  8. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

Agreed. I've been at it 15+ years and I've learned you have to adapt. Money can be made every day -- long and short.

#28     Feb 5, 2012
  9. hitnrun

hitnrun

the last 6 mos of the year was good but this year is lackluster but it can change quickly with some volitility

they been calling for the death of day trading for years . a broken record

If the market is moving then their is always a opportunity to make money

the market will always change & the traders that can adapt will thrive in a challenging environment as they had to for years. traders have to adapt or will just fade away

#29     Feb 5, 2012
  10. I really think that technical analysis has been coming to light more and more. Fundamentals seem so odd, it is very difficult to invest when looking at fundamentals because many businesses have no vision and are concerned about the economy and realistically where it is headed. Trading technicals has been pretty good in my opinion and I think that day traders have to be very nimble and pick your spots in this market

I've been trading for 15 years and this industry has changed rapidly. I don't really like the direction of the enviroment because of all the intervention into the market place.

One thing is certain in trading and is the best indicator out there.

To make money realize that " PRICE IS TRUTH! "

Price is truth peroid.

#30     Feb 6, 2012