Poll: Should America Bomb Iraq?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by candletrader, Aug 7, 2002.

1. NBC, MSNBC AND NEWS SERVICES

WASHINGTON, Sept. 21 — Iraq rejected U.S. efforts to secure a U.N. resolution threatening war Saturday, with Iraqi state-run radio announcing that Baghdad would not abide by “unfavorable new resolutions” adopted by the U.N. Security Council.

THE IRAQI RADIO announcement said the decision to reject new U.N. measures was made during a meeting involving President Saddam Hussein, Vice President Taha Yassin Ramadan and other senior officials. It did not say when the meeting took place.

“The American officials are trying, according to the media, to issue new, bad resolutions from the Security Council. Iraq declares it will not deal with any new resolution that contradicts what has been agreed upon with the U.N. Secretary General,” the brief announcement said.
    -----------------------------------------

Why am I not surprised? :)

#91     Sep 21, 2002
  2. Babak

Babak

3. I have a question for those who voted in favor of "giving them justice". As Americans you should be experts on justice. What exactly does it mean?

Does it require a fair trial?

A trial at all?

Is there a difference between justice and vengeance?

If one Arab commits murder and you kill a different Arab, is that justice?

If one human commits murder and you kill a different human, is that justice?

Please clarify!

#93     Sep 22, 2002
  4. Could this possibly explain some of the Russian hesitance? Now I understand that the french are major buyers of Iraqi oil. One of my pet detective strategies, when in doubt find and follow the money! I would suspect that many of the other dissenting nations/parties have a quasi-covert money based link.

I also believe that they would be behind the pressure to not expand the inspectors capabilities. So to that extent, I would be looking for comments from most of them in the next few weeks strongly denouncing any and all U. N. directed changes.

For me, it is not out of the question to see some (albeit minimal) military support from Russia for Sadamn. Isn't a portion of his military hardware Russian? I would wonder who is helping to re-establish the radar capabilities of the forces there. Although I guess it is not difficult to build radar that can track stealth technology, even with the U. N. sanctions in place.

Should all this happen, I also expect to see the squeamish of war types attempt to use that Russian posture as a basis for the "Don't Proceed!" arguments. Don't forget, we may have caused trauma and changes in Russia, but we still have opposition there. :)

#94     Sep 22, 2002