POLL - Sell or Hold investment in Hedge Fund with 70% Drawdown?

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by jsmith, Mar 31, 2008.

Sell or Hold investment in Hedge Fund with 70% Drawdown?

1. SELL - Cut your losses and move on..

30 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. HOLD - The fund will recover eventually..

10 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Mvic

Mvic

Sounds like an option writing fund that doesn't know how to hedge its risk, I would dump it ASAP especially in this volatile market.

If it was a trend following fund I might be inclined to stick with it but the 2% monthly return gives it away.

#11     Apr 1, 2008
  2. Is this a sykes fund by any chance??

Ahh I kill me :p :D :) :p :cool: :D

#12     Apr 1, 2008
  3. danzman

danzman

That's quite a hefty drawdown. In my own trading, I use a moving average of my system equity to tell me when to stop using a trading system. I suppose you could do the same thing with a hedge fund's equity.

I would research another fund with better pain/gain ratio. You said they experienced a 50% DD before? That's way to much when trading with other people's money. 20% DD's usually get investors up in arms. At 70%, they're likely to see redemptions and then shut down.

Move on.

D

#13     Apr 2, 2008
  4. Sell the POS what when they are at 80% drawdown you will be back on here asking the same question. Yes give yourself a stop at 95% drwawdown so you can still have enough $ to buy a pizza. Get out of the POS.

#14     Apr 2, 2008
  5. spinn

spinn

Are you running this fund?

Why hold something that is down more than 20%???????

#15     Apr 3, 2008
  6. 70% is not a drawdown. it's a freaking train wreck. so what kind of stuff does this hedge fund get into?

#16     Apr 3, 2008
  7. jsmith

jsmith

No, not running the fund. The fund lost 50% in a month selling puts.

I am doing much better in my own trading account. I was trying to diversify my invesments by investing with other managers.

#17     Apr 5, 2008
  8. Originally I wrote:

"1) Find out WHY they're down; ie, bad trades, bad investments, bad timing? etc.

2) Find out what they are/were invested in. (waiting for a stock to bounce or flat and in cash)."

THEN, I read your post about the 0.62%/month avg. return!!!

If 0.62%/month is avg, and they're down 70%, like you said, it'll take forever to regrow the capital. In desperation, they'll likely "swing for the fences" as someone else mentioned-- which could easily blow them up if wrong.

I'd get the h-ll out now.

#18     Apr 5, 2008
  9. Well surprise surprise...

Since the high water mark on the original fund is basically a lost cause, why not start all over again with a new fund and rake in incentive fees from the very get go! No one's the wiser....

#19     Apr 5, 2008