POLL: On average, which ET group is more intellectually dishonest? Atheist or theist?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Thunderdog, Apr 14, 2009.

On average, which ET group is more intellectually dishonest?

1. Atheist

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. Theist

28 vote(s)
    73.7%
  1. stu

stu

Spoken like a truly intellectually dishonest theist.

Persistent determination to continually misrepresent in defence of a faith.

#31     Apr 15, 2009

2. I wonder if a child in the womb, being told about the outside world that he/she was about to enter into, could comprehend, understand, visualize or even believe what was being told it ?

If one believes the biblical representations, which I do, then we would sort of be like the child in the womb.....we are being told, by G-D, about all the wonders and the reality of this truth that lies just beyond our physical senses....some take it by faith and believe .......some say Absurd! all there is or will ever be is what I can see and feel [in this womb]

#32     Apr 15, 2009
  3. stu

stu

Why do you do that, distort an actual situation into trying to mean something it cannot?
    There is no real reason to wonder if a child could possibly do any such things unless you are trying to mislead either yourself or others.

Attempting to make analogy with totally inappropriate suggestions is another intellectually dishonest argument often applied by many theists.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    (Galileo Galilei / 1564-1642)

#33     Apr 15, 2009
  4. Precisely. They just see no basis on which to believe in a god, and so they don't. Contention arises when they are presented with bullshit arguments.

#34     Apr 15, 2009
  5. Really? Is your life so meaningless without the notion of "something else?" Is it so otherwise barren and lacking in value?
    Good luck with your chemistry set.

#35     Apr 15, 2009
  6. jem

jem

Ok you lying piece of shit... here is your chance.

Admit there might be a chance there is a God and I will say I misrepresented your position.

Otherwise it will be plain for all to see that:

1. you are a troll
    2. Many atheists, like you, are complete fools

#36     Apr 15, 2009
  7. I believe there is a God. But I despise him, hate him, and have no respect for him. Since I believe in God, I know hating him will take me to hell, but I don't care.

You can earn respect by force but it is nothing compared to respect earned through ones own grace. And God is a disgraceful entity.

I find no reason to thank him for anything, and my wish is that every human land in hell with me.

#37     Apr 15, 2009
  8. your wish has been granted. every human will indeed end up in Sheol(hell). Sheol simply means grave. the bible writers mistranslated that word, probably on purpose, in order to scare the sheep in the pews and keep them in line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheol
    Sheol is sometimes compared to Hades, the gloomy, twilight afterlife of Greek mythology. The word "hades" was in fact substituted for "sheol" when the Hebrew scriptures were translated into Greek

#38     Apr 15, 2009
  9. Don't know if this was brought up but if a person believes a thing then their sincere expression of it can't be considered dishonest intellectually or otherwise just opined as wrong. Intellectual dishonesty implies a deliberate subversion of the issue at hand. Where matters of a creator are concerned I would submit that the jury is still and will forever be out. That being said The rib thing is very much a strain on reason unless you invoke a license for metaphor, the apparatus for connection of which has yet to be discovered. I like the take Bill Maher uses, "I don't know and neither does anyone else."

#39     Apr 16, 2009
  10. Not intervening when little girls are stuffed inside of a suitcase
    earns him poor marks in my book of life too.

#40     Apr 16, 2009