Poll majority: Gays' orientation can't change

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ZZZzzzzzzz, Jun 27, 2007.

1. (CNN) -- A majority of Americans believe that gays and lesbians could not change their sexual orientation even if they wanted to, according to results of a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll released Wednesday.

It's the first time in a CNN poll the majority has held that belief regarding homosexuality.

Fifty-six percent of about 515 poll respondents said they do not believe sexual orientation can be changed. In 2001, 45 percent of those responding to a CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll held that belief. In 1998, according to a CNN/Time poll, the number was 36 percent.

In addition, 42 percent of respondents to the current poll said they believe homosexuality results from upbringing and environment, while 39 percent said they believe it is something a person is born with -- a close division that reflects the national debate over the issue.

However, those numbers are greatly changed from the 1970s and '80s, in which fewer than 20 percent of Americans said a person is born homosexual. In a 1977 poll, the number was 13 percent.

Ten percent in the latest poll said they believe both factors play a role in someone's homosexuality. Three percent said neither, and 6 percent had no opinion.

The sampling error for the results released Wednesday, in which the question was asked of a half-sample of 1,029 telephone poll respondents, is plus or minus 4.5 percentage points. The poll was conducted Friday through Sunday.

In a poll conducted May 4-6 that dealt with other issues regarding homosexuality, participants were asked whether openly gay people should be allowed to serve in the U.S. military, which currently has a "don't ask-don't tell" policy on homosexuality. Seventy-nine percent of poll respondents said openly gay people should be allowed to serve in the military. Eighteen percent said they should not.

On the question of gay marriage, 43 percent of respondents in May said they would not support same-sex marriage or civil unions, which provide many, if not most, of the same legal protections as marriage. Twenty-four percent said they supported same-sex marriage, while 27 percent opted for civil unions.

But a majority of poll respondents -- 57 percent -- said gay and lesbian couples should have the legal right to adopt children. Forty percent said they should not.

The sampling error for those questions was plus or minus 3 percentage points.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/27/poll.gay/index.html

2. jem

jem

It is interesting how the public can be influenced by media.

19 percent more people believe gays are born gay. Yet little or no evidence has been produced to support that statement.

And now a majority of people say gays can't change their orientation in contravention of observed reality.

A 50 year old guy where I live recently switched from being a married father to running off with a gay real estate agent. did he change his orientation from straight to gay. Was he born gay.

And I know guys who were gay in college who started dating women and vice versa.

Its not that common but if you went to school in D.C. you saw it.

For some gays - being gay is a choice. Perhaps for some it is not a choice.

3. jem

jem

you ought to care if you live in the society that is being influenced. Agree or disagree you ought to be aware of what is going on.

4. jem

jem

more importantly my comments were directed at the how the opinions of people were shaped with little or no change in legitimate information.

I don't care what gays do as long as they don't care how we define marriage.

5. Free to create more plagues like AIDS?

Who knows what they are going to spread around next...:mad:

6. If homosexuals are born with the predisposition to homosexuality, then would we consider it to be a birth defect? I use the term birth defect to describe something that is not natural, not as a put down. Considering that the natural order in any species is to procreate to continue it's survival, homosexuality would go against what is considered to be the norm.

I know I'll probably get a bunch of people screaming at me that I'm a homophobe or bigoted, but I think it is an honest question.

7. They spread it to the heterosexuals unfortunately...:(

8. Can you be more specific.

9. Yeah, I wonder if this could help in China and India.

Put something in their food maybe?...:p

10. Actually with the fact they are being allowed to adopt, I don't
    think it would help...:(

#10     Jun 27, 2007