Poll: Just how badly are you getting treated at work...

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by retaildaytrader, Apr 10, 2010.

Are you (or someone you know) getting treated better or worse at work then in 2007?

1. Treated much better then 2007

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. Treated a little better then 2007

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. No difference

15 vote(s)
    35.7%
  4. Treated worse then 2007

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  5. Treated a lot worse then 2007

15 vote(s)
    35.7%
  1. Being self-employed, hearing this first part is like realizing a Zen koan.

There are tougher requirements today courtesy this recession for who should be self-employed. You need to be good with money, a saver, able to budget, preferably have a consistent stream of income, and a 2nd family member working during a business startup, or work a 2nd job or get some kind of gov't assistance during the startup phase of the business. You also shouldn't bother with it unless you can honestly say I'm willing to devote 3 years to this.

The same goes with becoming a self-employed trader. You might even want to consider self-employment as a kind of backstop to becoming a trader.

As for the last comment about the gov't, it seems apparent that this era of big government in the US is coming to a grinding halt real soon. Real gov't employee wages will have to deflate (though it looks like the plan is for inflation through taxes on the masses rather than reining in gov't workers) . The question is how long can they prop up the job Market with these hollow and unnecessary gov't workers.

#11     Apr 10, 2010
  2. zdreg

zdreg

look at the history of argentina and brazil and greece post world II to come up with an answer.
    rein in government and deflate the gov't under the current US president? you jest obviously.

#12     Apr 10, 2010
  3. Well, I am surprised by the people who have reported "no difference" at their work places. I can definately see a difference in how people are from 2007 to the current time. I see a lot more hard attitudes out there now then I can remember....

#13     Apr 10, 2010
  4. I believe this statement is probably true 70% of the time. I think 7 out of 10 employees at these companies are really not better off in the long term. However, 30% of the crew will be able to leverage the company they are in for a better life.

Some of these "Masters of the Universe" at these investment banks and hedge funds have it made. At a young age, they have millions of dollars where they can simply stop working and be well-off for the rest of their life. I think I could make do with say 10 million dollars for the rest of my life...however, some of the large bonuses we are seeing for these talented few are way more then that...

In a way, I do support imposing extra tax on these large bonsues. A guy who gets a 10 million dollar bonus can afford to get taxed another 5-10%.

#14     Apr 11, 2010
  5. Large companies operate like machine factories avoid this at all costs. Find a career that gives you some flexibility and growth health care is still good even with the new policies etc... plus many people in health care don't have to pay for health insurance etc.. depending where you work... Corporate jobs suck for the most part
    you are a hired slave. Look at the tax structure... company uses your labor and writes you off as expense.. meaning we hired 10 cows they produced x amount of milk we then sold the milk for a profit and depreciate the cow and let them pay full taxation... moo !!! only way to fight back is in the masses ... get organized... have the whole team call out sick etc....

#15     Apr 11, 2010
  6. Who gave you that idea?
    I came from Europe to US. If you like living in a Nursing home - Europe is a right place for you. I prefer to make my own decisions and value my freedom. As of the 99% US losers they are in better shape than most people in Europe who are on handouts.

#16     Apr 11, 2010
  7. I am not sure what winner or loser can be defined as...

However, I think a loser is a person who is in a profession they do not want to do, but do it any way because of their need for the cash.

In one regard I do respect those people who work and bring home money. However, in another regard I do not respect those who work just for the check. Those who do that really waste time for themselves, their co-workers and their managers not to mention fill a space that someone else might want to have.

#17     Apr 11, 2010
  8. You like talking so much about others that I can't help but be curious: What is your story?

#18     Apr 12, 2010
  9. Schadenfreude is definitiely on the upswing.

The phenomena works like this. Look buddy we all took it in the ass buck up you f#*king lightweight.

I gotta say it was nice using the downturn to get rid of some dead wood without the usual HR dance.

#19     Apr 12, 2010
  10. I dont want to insult you, but you kind of opened yourself up for it. The reason why we use these "handles" versus our real names is for privacy.

In seeing some of the responses on this site and many users with multiple ids, I not only believe its smart to use a handle but also to use a proxy server to hide your true IP.

So if I wanted you to know who I am then I would post under my real name, however, I use a handle because "my story" is really none of your business. I also use a proxy for even further privacy and if that doesnt work and you still find me here then I have a 6 cell maglite and Glock G21 right here at my desk just in case you decide to visit.

#20     Apr 12, 2010