POLL: Is EliteTrader becoming the Fox News of Trading?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Thunderdog, Sep 25, 2009.

Is EliteTrader becoming the Fox News of Trading?

1. Yes

45 vote(s)
    72.6%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    27.4%
  1. Because you, and people like you, make me look smart. It's a difficult and painful trade-off. On the one hand, I'm disappointed that whatever intelligent content ET once had is rapidly diminishing. However, on the other hand, it feels good to be a one-eyed king among the blind. It's really quite a conundrum.

#31     Sep 28, 2009
  2. Superiority complex refers to a subconscious neurotic mechanism of compensation developed by the individual as a result of feelings of inferiority.[1] The feelings of inferiority in this specific complex are often brought on by real or perceived social rejection.

The term "superiority complex", in everyday usage, refers to an overly high opinion of oneself; in psychology, it refers to the unrealistic and exaggerated belief that one is better than others. In some people, this develops as a way to compensate for unconscious feelings of low self-esteem or inadequacy.

The socially awkward teen may convince themselves that the reason they cannot connect with more forward individuals is because they are more intelligent and sophisticated than them. In adults, even business executives may put on a tough facade and try to make others think well of them, but inside they feel inadequate and do not respect themselves.[2] Therefore, those exhibiting the superiority complex may project their feelings of inferiority onto others whom they perceive as 'lessers,' possibly for the same reasons for which they themselves may have been ostracized.

Behaviors related to this mechanism may include an exaggerated opinion of one’s worth and abilities, unrealistically high expectations in goals and achievements for oneself and others, persistent attempts to correct others (regardless of whether or not they are actually correct), vanity, extravagant dressing (intent on drawing attention), excessive need for competition, pride, over-sentimentality and affected exaltation, snobbishness, a tendency to discredit others' opinions and over-forcefulness aimed at dominating those considered as weaker or less important.[3] The conscious awareness of one's delusion typically results in a temporal phenomenen called cognitive dissonance, which may or may not serve the purpose of bringing that person back "down to earth".

Both the superiority and inferiority complex can be found together as different expressions of the same pathology and both complexes can exist within the same individual.[4]

#32     Sep 28, 2009
  3. Not surprisingly, NeoConRio1, you miss the point entirely. Read my post again for the first time. I am not suggesting that I am smart. Rather, it is guys like you who make me appear that way. Have an adult explain the distinction to you.

#33     Sep 28, 2009

4. Truth be told, this sounds like it was written by a loser, self deprieciating psychiatrist who cant understand why he is always getting taking advantage of.

NAME ONE SUCCESFUL PERSON WHO DOES NOT EXHIBIT THOSE TRAITS!!

what a crock of crap.

Sleepy

#34     Sep 28, 2009
  5. +1 Successful people would never become successful if they engaged in never ending doubt. Interaction with opposite sex is separate from confidence in one's mental abilities.

Napoleon had a tender relationship with Josephine while he was fearless on the battlefield. Bill Gates married a Microsoft employee.

I am sure both of those men (and a boatload of others) thought highly of themselves.

#35     Sep 28, 2009
  6. This is kind of how I feel. I bring up all kinds of stuff about actual economics in the economics forum, and it gets buried under a blizzard of doomsaying and libertarian ideology. (What would Mises/Hayek say? That seems to be the only approach taken it seems to me sometimes.)
    I wonder if any of the ideologues are actually successful. Kind of hard to trade with ideological blinders on.

#36     Sep 28, 2009
  7. you mean guys like soros? you need a bit of serious psych work.

ya think your smarter than the rest, but truth is quite the opposite.

sleepy

#37     Sep 29, 2009
  8. Soros is liberal, but he doesn't trade that way. On the evidence, a lot of the posters being spoken of here actually let their politics into their trading - I don't know how many times I've read that some poster has continued to remain short or bearish since this rally started in March, after all. This is, well, nuts.

#38     Sep 29, 2009
  9. Thunderlessdog is the Brian Kilmeade of traders! LOL :D

#39     Sep 30, 2009
  10. Rather than waste your time on the Internet when they occasionally let you out of your cell, you should probably try to get some sunlight.

#40     Sep 30, 2009