POLL: Is Bill really EVIL?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Scientist, Jun 2, 2003.

1. I don't know why so many people around here think Bill is so evil?

I mean - yes, he snatched DOS off some swedish company and sold it to start MSFT, then stole the window-idea off APPL and blatantly and most unoriginally called it "Windows", to assimilate the market with his inferior proprietary OS, and continued to trample over people he once admired (like the guy from Netscape) to take over the internet sector.

But besides that he seems like a nice enough sort of guy?
    - And hey - If any of us guys had a %equity dip like his over the last few years - Would we be trading or rather be crying?

Appreciate some creative feedback. :cool:

~Scientist

2. here are some facts:

-he did not steal DOS from a danish company, he bought it off the guy who invented it.

-Apple stole the graphical user interface idea from Xerox.

3. No he didn't STEAL DOS. He just bought it for ... what? 60 grand?

MSFT oriented itself on the interface of the times' macOS, not the Xerox's - Apple sued MSFT, not Xerox, and Apple lost - For particular reasons.

~Scientist :cool:

4. I read somewhere that Gates' mom was an exec or director at IBM and got him the original contract to do the o/s for the IBM pc. Is that true?

5. I think that's nonsense. She was a school teacher....

~Scientist

6. HERE is a good article to get you started.

7. AWESOME contribs Madison. You're on my side.
    There's even a link I didn't know yet...

Cheers,
    ~Scientist

8. ElCubano

ElCubano

:D

9. no, but

'Their father, William H. Gates II, is a Seattle attorney. Their late mother, Mary Gates, was a schoolteacher, University of Washington regent, and chairwoman of United Way International."

it is nice to start life when mom gets you a contract with the biggest hardware/software company of the world (sitting with IBM chiefs on the United Way board), and papa writes the contract the most adventagous way for your company (there is probably no other contract signed by IBM ever with a newbie startup, or other companies for that matter, giving up that much) ...

#10     Jun 2, 2003