POLL: Is belief in God due to a failed search for meaning in life and fear of death?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Thunderdog, Apr 17, 2009.

Is belief in God the result of a failed search for meaning in life and fear of death?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

25 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Vista

Vista

#51     Apr 21, 2009
  2. I think there was a theory once that the sun revolved around the earth...most people believed it to be true...

When there is some way to measure thought, not electrical impulses in the brain...

I am not aware of any device that measure thoughts, or can tell what the thoughts are.

Can stimulating the brain with electricity generate thoughts?

Sure, so can looking at a sunset...

#52     Apr 21, 2009
  3. The sun does influence thought. Solar tides churn out chi fields that radiate outward and blanket the earth with electromagnetic fields. As brains are walked through them, they are influenced by them. The solar tides are influenced by the planetary motions around the sun. The motions of the planets are intended by a vast consciousness, which controls all thinking in these, and various other ways. The whole thing runs like a wind up toy...pre-recorded...playing itself out...going through the motions.

These are examples of the mechanisms of illusion. The body itself is a kind of mechanical device, the brain serving more like a router than a cause of thought. It does not actually do any thinking. One could then argue whether the body is alive. I argue that it is not. Therefore, mechanical "life" is a kind of "afterlife". This implies there has been a "death", after which there is the experience of perpetual "sleep" in "another world". This would mean that mechanical life is a "dream".

Who died?
    What dreams?

Christ!

#53     Apr 22, 2009
  4. Combine these ideas with the idea that "the universe" is the concept of a "dead" Life and, like Sherlock Holmes, we will get closer to solving this case. Think of the universe as a sanitized crime scene...the scene of a murdered reality. What follows is the concept of a living death...a mechanical existence...an "other" world...a dream world.

Christ!

#54     Apr 22, 2009
  5. See my posts above. If this universe is a mechanistic illusion, then it's so-called "life" needs to be redefined. I define it as *liFe*: a lie with a big "F" in it. The "F" stands for feelings of fear. Such a life is for feelings of fear.

I propose that minds caught within such a matrix are more afraid of true Life than death...more afraid of Love than fear. So, I propose that those who seek the true God are seeking to overcome their worst fear. Those seeking a false god are those seeking to reduce their fear of death...as well as those who seek no god at all...justifying it somehow, someway.

"Afterlife" reports give plenty of evidence that there is no death...or that it symbolizes a change. Arguments that there is no afterlife are equally as true, given that a universe where anything can die, let alone everything...is an illusion that does not exist in reality. Such a universe is an oxymoron...mixing opposing concepts together, ie. "life and death"..."real and unreal". Where are such absurdities not questioned but in dreams?

Therefore, I conclude that "the universe" is a dream, a private world, that has meaning only to it's maker.

Christ!

#55     Apr 22, 2009
  6. Easter is over. Time to put the bunnies and eggs away.

:p

#56     Apr 22, 2009
  7. volente_00

volente_00

8. Time to put the toys in the attic, starting with the original Mr. Egghead, the maker of "the universe".

#58     Apr 22, 2009
  9. I second that.

I will take a passionate far left liberal over a passionate Jesus freak any day of the week.

"Bush created 9/11"- I actually get entertainment out of the far left. The far right is quite funny as well sometimes.

"Believe in god or suffer pain for eternity"- Now that gets just a little annoying. The whole entertainment factor goes straight down the drain.

It is funny though that billions of people have been convinced to believe in something because of the threat of torture for eternity.

YES WE CAN go to heaven. Ha...

#59     Apr 23, 2009
  10. i think fear drives belief all too often.

Am i afraid hell yes!

but i am not going to start deluding myself that a benevolent bearded 'santee claus' that lives up in the sky will bail me out.

i REFUSE to succumb to the IRRATIONAL! :mad:

i will face my fate like a rational man.

#60     Apr 28, 2009