POLL: Is belief in God due to a failed search for meaning in life and fear of death?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Thunderdog, Apr 17, 2009.

Is belief in God the result of a failed search for meaning in life and fear of death?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

25 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. How about asking ourselves, "Do we have the wiring to come up with the answer or is it a will to power thing that we have to come up with one at the expense of a truth that may just be out of our reach?"

#21     Apr 17, 2009
  2. Time, space and physics: somewhere in there is the as yet undiscovered or undiscoverable answer. Beginning with the
    philosophy that existence may be some uberintelligence that
    set it all in motion and continues to monitor it all but you can always ask how did that come about? Then you get into a russian doll nesting or if you prefer elephants stacked on each other metaphor for infinity based answers. When the wave function collapses and the superpositioned particles have traversed the distance w/o ever touching any of the space inbetween, thats where the interface with the transcendent
    mystery resides ...or not. :D

#22     Apr 17, 2009
  3. bronks

bronks

Omega!!

Shit yeah!

#23     Apr 17, 2009

4. For my next trick I'll explain infinity.

Take a mobius strip. Put a pen anywhere along its length and draw a line all the way around untill you reach where you started. Note you never had to pick your penpoint up. Now imagine that line is the path a rocketship takes in spacetime. When you exchange the theoretical 2 dimensions of the paper for the 3 dimensions we live in you get a manifold that traveling a curved spacetime path within will bring you back to where you started. Don't ask whats on the outside of the mobius strip. The 5th Dimension ....The Age of Aquarius???
    Tell it to your kids. I've remembered that since high school from a geometry teacher.

#24     Apr 17, 2009
  5. Thunderdog. Do people who have meaning in life actually start online threads dedicated to the hatred of people who have faith in god?

In reality you are portraying your own lack of meaning in life because you are focused on a lack of meaning among other people.

Good people don't go around making observations and statements about how shitty a certain group of people are JUST because of their beliefs about god existing.

It's about as logical as going around making observations and statements about how shitty a certain group of people are just because of the color of their skin.

Misery truly loves company.

Remember I am agnostic. I don't believe in god because it is not a fact. Sense it is unknown my only opinion is that it is unknown.

Believing against the unknown is just as illogical as believing for the unknown.

You however have a strong opinion about the unknown and give a very strong picture of your psychological state and motives when bashing those who have faith in the unknown. Plainly speaking you are nasty and you tell people they don't have meaning in life. It is hard to look worse when you claim to have meaning in life yet bash other people and then state that they have no such meaning.

#25     Apr 18, 2009
  6. define "God" dick-head

#26     Apr 18, 2009
  7. Do you then also not believe "against" Russell's Celestial Teapot:

“If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is an intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell's_teapot

What other "unknowns" do you not believe "against?" Tooth fairies? Gremlins? Flying unicorns? After all, they are unknowns. What to do with them?

#27     Apr 18, 2009
  8. Define "dick-head." No, wait. Don't bother. You post just did it for you.

#28     Apr 18, 2009

9. Why would you believe in something unknown??

Do YOU believe in EVERYTHING unknown?

:confused:

#29     Apr 18, 2009
  10. I don't know why these television evangelist used car salesmen should be given tax exemption. I imagine little old ladies donate their estates in the millions to these charlatans. the weak minded need protection from (read freedom from) some
    of the more predatory activities Americans invent and hide behind the constitution to enable. I don't subscribe to the 'never give a sucker an even break" or "if you're not cheatin you're not trying" road to riches. Its a thorny subject indeed.

#30     Apr 18, 2009