POLL: Is all the hateful rhetoric against Obama both shameful and disturbing?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gabfly1, Dec 28, 2009.

Is all the hateful rhetoric against Obama both shameful and disturbing?

1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. No

55 vote(s)
    69.6%
  1. I refer to over-the-top hatred and you refer to disagreement. Nice.

#11     Dec 28, 2009
  2. sjfan

sjfan

Perhaps you should have your high school teacher explain our constitutional democracy to you. Actually, given the state of education in this country, perhaps that's the exact problem.

#12     Dec 28, 2009
  3. Do you mean the one where Obama was duly elected as president? That constitutional democracy? And are we referring to the guy who is endeavoring to fulfill all of the election promises for which he was duly elected? Do tell.

#13     Dec 28, 2009
  4. sjfan

sjfan

yes. he's the president. I'm not one of those idiots who has a problem with that. He's our democratically elected head of state. But it's also the right of every citizen of this country to be critical of him or his policy. But you can't seem to accept that. And you seem to think all those people who are critical of him are mentally defect. That's what makes you a bit absurd.

#14     Dec 28, 2009
  5. I think the absurdity is your trying to equate genuine criticism with the over-the-top hatred, which this thread is about. Is the distinction perhaps too subtle for you? Did you actually read the poll question and my posts which you quoted? If not, then you really should give it a try.

#15     Dec 28, 2009
  6. sjfan

sjfan

I did. But what's the difference between critique and hatred? Yes, a lot of "criticism" against obama is somewhat baseless (i don't understand the birthers, for example) and some what heated. But that's political speech, the single highest form of speech protected by the constitution. So, I ask you again, so what? There were enough rapid absurdity pumped at bush in his years (not that there weren't valid criticism as well). Now we have the same against Obama. What's the difference, exactly? Except you find yourself on the other side? A little hypocritical of you, don't you thiknk?

#16     Dec 28, 2009
  7. It depends on your perspective. For 8 yrs I've witnessed outright hatred and over the top flaming, from the "Bush is not my president" to burning Bush effigies to Bush/Hitler posters. You see hatred because you take personally the assault against your side and refuse to believe that your own could stoop so low as what you decry. Just compare the political conventions of the past 2 cycles and look at all the hatred spewing from your side. (When was the last time a group of republicans physically attacked members of a news organization out of of pure hatred?)

The violence, hatred, and disruptive behavior was considerably one-sided for the majority of the last 40+ yrs and apparently you are not used to those on the right taking a page out of the leftist hate book.

#17     Dec 28, 2009
  8. Can you show where Obama has forced right wing crazy protesters into "free speech cages?"

#18     Dec 28, 2009
  9. sjfan

sjfan

When did this turn into an obama vs bush debate? trying to shape the discussion here, aren't you?

Isn't the topic here rapid assholes critical of obama vs the rapid assholes critical of bush? (and the op's belief that one is mentally defect and the other is not)

#19     Dec 28, 2009
  10. It is not Obama vs. Bush, it is the illustration of the duplicity of the right wingers who supported Bush's free speech cages, called anyone who criticized Bush a traitor, and now go apeshit when they are exposed for their doublespeak...

#20     Dec 28, 2009