POLL: Intraday traders, what % of your total profits is generated by a single market?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Thunderdog, Sep 2, 2008.

Intraday traders, what % of your overall profits is generated by a single market?

1. Less than 25%

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  2. Between 25% and 50%

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  3. Between 50% and 75%

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. More than 75%

43 vote(s)
    78.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Interesting comment TD.
    What did you develop your approach upon.

ie ...The only thing that I know is intraday trading the ES ( leaving aside position Fx futures)

If I know anything at all about day trading it all comes and only comes from ES observations.

Were I to try say NQ, I would dump my ES approach and start from scratch with the NQ order flow ... this is not going to happen I can assure you.

regards
    f9

#11     Sep 3, 2008
  2. I can only speculate why NQ might be better for me than ES. However, I know from experience that my NQ setups are more reliable, and I am better able to control the loss on a trade gone sideways (or the wrong way). Perhaps it is just a matter of method and personal preference.

One thing that makes me feel vaguely uneasy is that the tick size for ES is disproportionately larger than its full-sized counterpart. Others have put forward the argument that this discrepancy enables arbs to benefit at the expense of other traders. Although I am not well versed in these matters, I don't readily see a flaw in that argument. On the other hand, NQ's tick size is exactly proportionate to its full-sized counterpart. Consequently, that kind of arbing opportunity is not present and I am therefore not subject to such a disadvantage. Again, I don't know if this has any bearing on NQ giving me more reliable setups. I'm just trading the market that is presently the friendliest to me.

#12     Sep 3, 2008
  3. Observation, testing, crying and screaming. The usual. :)

#13     Sep 3, 2008
  4. Forex.

#14     Sep 3, 2008
  5. Spot or futures?

#15     Sep 3, 2008
  6. 99.44% ES. While I generate the vast majority of my profits from trading the ES, I do, on rare occassion, trade Equities. In addition, I have traded Forex (EUR / USD) only once - late at night while chatting with ElectricSavant.

- Spydertrader

#16     Sep 3, 2008
  7. Hey, how is ElectricSavant, and what happened to him anyway? He used to post here and then...he didn't.

#17     Sep 3, 2008
  8. ES/NQ about 80%

Swing in Commodities 15%

Swing Equities 5%

Anek

The thread has been closed by the original poster.

#18     Sep 3, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.