POLL: If you were improving your method, would you seek more setups or fewer of them?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Gabfly1, Feb 18, 2010.

If you were improving your method, would you seek more setups or fewer of them?

1. More setups

15 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. Fewer setups

38 vote(s)
    71.7%
  1. Perhaps this is a better way of posing the question for what I think may have been a somewhat misunderstood poll earlier:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=189531&highlight=POLL

As I see it, all else being equal, seeking to adjust a method to recognize fewer setups is somewhat like tightening your game, whereas seeking to adjust that method to recognize more setups is akin to loosening your game. The tradeoff, therefore, is between the fear of missing out and the fear of losing.

2. Impossible question to answer without knowing the statistics of the current system.

And whats this fear of anything you speak of? Seriously..I thought you were an experienced trader well past that nonsense.

3. experienced traders(or rational beginner) wont bother about generalized polls on public forum.

4. Since it is a general question intended for all respondents, I don't see how we can get into statistics. And I'm not really interested in anyone's statistics per se. Rather, I'm curious to know whether, all else being equal (whatever that may be), would they choose to improve their game by tightening or loosening? Meaning do they presently perceive their present method as being a bit too tight or a bit too loose.

As for the "fear" thing, perhaps the wording is a bit dramatic, but the tradeoff is real. Even so, emotion exists from time to time in one form or another, be it anxiety, discomfort or whatever. Regardless, the poll is more about tradeoff, which is ever present in trading.

5. Thank you for your fine contribution. I look forward to your next post.

6. I want more trades if it puts more money in my bank account each week.

I want fewer trades if it puts more money in my bank account each week.

I want more flowers in my garden if it puts more money in my bank account each week.

I want fewer flowers in my garden if it puts more money in my bank account each week.

etc.

etc.

7. Look, I dont intend to flame.

How do you define "all else being equal"? details dude, details are what make or break a trader.

More so you cannot expect everyone on a public board to have worthy opinions in something like trading where few survive. hence better than posting poll simply post the question and read replies.

8. I don't care about individual details because I don't really care how you or anyone else here trades. I was simply curious about which side of the fence presently looks greener to you, regardless of where your yard may be.

When I include the proviso of all else being equal, I just want everyone to be able to respond from their own perspective. Let me say it again. I just want to know whether people here at ET are presently looking to tighten or loosen their game, irrespective of how tight or loose it may presently be. This isn't scientific research. I'm not conducting a study. I'm not looking to either learn or teach from this exercise. I'm curious and I'm passing time. Dude.

9. Alright then.

10. ammo

ammo

gab, my trade setups are fine, i would like to fine tune myself on the discipline end, only trade the setups, sometimes u jump in and your screwed, you take the loss, but you knew the minute you put the trade on, it wasn't well thought out ,of course it works sometimes , bu the majority of the time , not

#10     Feb 18, 2010